Thread: Incomplete Sync with Zimbra Desktop and Exchange 2010

BJD
    BJD is offline Starter Member

Default Incomplete Sync with Zimbra Desktop and Exchange 2010

I'm taking Zimbra Desktop for a test drive because I'm so fed up with Outlook. Our company runs MS Exchange 2010 and I have configured it to enable IMAP connections.

I save a lot of emails that are sorted in folders and sub folders that I created in Outlook. While setting up Zimbra and initiating the first sync with Exchange, my entire folder structure was replicated perfectly in Zimbra, but for some reason only about half of the folders contain any of my saved emails. The rest of the folders are empty. I let the sync continue overnight but no progress. I think all the data is about 1GB in size.

I can send and receive emails just fine, but I would really like to get my entire data file up to date on Zimbra.

Also, I'm unclear on how Zimbra handles 'Contacts'. I had assumed that the sync with Exchange would also include my contacts, but presently the Address Book in Zimbra is still empty.

Finally, I'm really open for ideas on how I can step away from the Microsoft world when it comes to managing my email, contacts, & calendar. In my business I'm stuck in the Microsoft world due to the insurance company mandates that we work with. However, in my personal world, I moved over to Mac about a two years ago and couldn't be more pleased. I'm running a Mac Pro, Mac Book, iPad, iPhone, and Mac server. I've got about 600 contacts and about 5 different email accounts. I know there are a hundred ways to skin this cat but I'm looking for something simple and efficient. If I could sever the relationship with Exchange, it wouldn't break my heart. But I do need to keep all my devices synced.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Joe

jerry.johnson is offline Starter Member

I'm in a similar boat and would love some guidance here. I have 11 accounts: 1 ZCS, 2 Exchange, 6 Google Apps, 2 GMail. The ZCS works fairly well, and the Googles work pretty well. But the 2 Exchange accounts don't sync Send Items across desktops. An item sent from on ZD does not make its way to the other ZD's connected to the same account.

Like you mentioned, contacts are very tricky with ZD and don't seem very elegant. I have contacts in all the accounts, but there doesn't seem to be any interaction in ZD across accounts.

And, of course, calendar interaction is non-existent.

ZD seems close to being an Outlook replacement, but these little nuances make it difficult as a corporate choice. Any guidance would be appreciated.

ccelis5215 is online now Elite Member

Hi,

jerry.johnson
    you need ZCO in order to sync your Exchange account (mail, contacts and calendar), maybe you don't know, but Zimbra make this in the Network Edition.

As you may know, you can use Thunderbird and Ligthing, i know.. it's not Outlook, but in my case do the work.

ccelis.

jerry.johnson is offline Starter Member

I'm new to Zimbra, but I don't think that ZCO is required. I'm using ZD to hit Exchange, not Outlook to hit ZCS. If I understand ZCO correctly, it is designed to help Outlook connect to ZCS. In my situation, I'm not even using Outlook.

ccelis5215 is online now Elite Member

Sorry, i've misread, you are using ZDesktop, it's the same answer, you can't sync your Exchange calendar or contacts without the ZCO.

ccelis.
    Last edited by ccelis5215; 06-20-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: my error

Thread Information