Thread: Zimbra Desktop 7.1.4 (build 11234) GMail Sync Issues

snute2008 is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra Desktop 7.1.4 (build 11234) GMail Sync Issues

I reported the bug 59624 back in May 2011 and I was hoping that the new beta would have addressed this fairly important issue.

I cannot understand why other users of Zimbra Desktop and that use GMail are not experiencing the same issue.

If you receive an email on a GMail account within ZD and then delete it. Empty the trash bin.

Then log into your GMail account via a browser and check your "All Mail" folder - the email is still there and will remain there for ever.

I cannot understand why this is no difficult to fix, emClient, Thunderbird all seem to handle this without any problems but I want to use Zimbra Desktop.

I would appreciate your help and assistance in this matter please.

I do not understand why I am the only one with this problem and that no one from Zimbra makes a comment.

If there are any other users of Zimbra Desktop that use it for a GMail account perhaps you could let me know if you experience this problem and if you dont what is going wrong with my system?

Any response is better than none.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snute2008 View Post
    I do not understand why I am the only one with this problem and that no one from Zimbra makes a comment.
    For the simple reason that these forums are Community Supported forums and not official Zimbra Support (the only support for ZD is via bugzilla). Everyone that posts here does so in their spare time and voluntarily.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Bill, I am fully aware that this is not official Zimbra Support but we are all striving to make the software better aren't we?

I was also questionning why other users are not experiencing the same issue.

I have been maintaining the bug in bugzilla.

I also use and test the software in my spare time and voluntarily.

I also run and manage Microsoft Exchange for a large volume of users and would love to change to Zimbra but do not see that it is a stable product, or rather Zimbra Desktop is not stable and fully working product.

aldennis is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by snute2008 View Post

I also run and manage Microsoft Exchange for a large volume of users and would love to change to Zimbra but do not see that it is a stable product, or rather Zimbra Desktop is not stable and fully working product.
    We've been using Zimbra Collaboration Suite since version 6.0 and is now using 7.1 together with Zimbra Desktop since 1.0.3, 2.0 and now 7.1.1. In the span of 4 years with over 100+ users, I could say that the web client was stable for production and also Zimbra Desktop 1.0.3 was the most stable desktop client but with less features than the 7.1

Every Zimbra Desktop update we have becomes less and less stable especially the 7.1.2 that hangs most of the time. Perhaps it has something to do with Kaspersky in Windows, but then again my Ubuntu workstation experience the same. IMHO the greater the ZD version, the lesser stable it becomes. I suggest that if you would to deploy Zimbra Open Source, you pick the ZCS 7.1.1 64 bit and use the ZD 7.1.1 client. This is our current setup and been running with no problems since May 2011.

I also believe it what others say, " if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Less update, less worry".

thombaugh is offline New Member

If I understand your problem, you need to check your gmail settings under IMAP:

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
    Archive the message (default)
    Move the message to the Trash
    Immediately delete the message forever

Select either 2 or 3 or you are going to get the message still in All Mail.

Thanks thombaugh for taking the time to reply.

These are the actual options:

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
    Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)
    (set)Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server.

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
    Archive the message (default)
    (set)Move the message to the Trash
    Immediately delete the message forever

Currently my settings are as per (set) above. Interesting the first option "Auto Expunge on" does not allow you to set the second set of options.

I have once again tried but the message still remains in the "All Mail" folder. I will leave it for a couple of hours in case it is a time thing but I still believe that it will not work. This is a fairly fundemental flaw in the software that other developers have successfully got around with their products.

It does not help though as I want to use Zimbra Desktop.

Thread Information