When we setup a customer on Hosted Exchange, we use an alias which allows the user to begin using his mailbox before the MX records have been pointed to the Exchange server. I'm wondering if this feature is available in Zimbra.

Here's an example:

Assume that our customer's domain is custdomain.com

And the primary domain of our Zimbra server is: ourzimbraserver.com

I would setup the new mailbox for joe@custdomain.com in Zimbra.

The customer would connect via Outlook using mail.ourzimbraserver.com, the username joe@custdomain.com, and their password.

Now, here's what I would like to do, if possible:

Setup an alias (or something) with an address similar to joe.custdomain.com@ourzimbraserver.com - which would delivers email to the joe@custdomain.com Zimbra mailbox.

What would be even better is if the setup of this alias occurred automatically whenever I setup a new mailbox on a customer's domain.

Why would I want to do this?

In Joe's existing email account on his old email provider I would setup a forwarder from joe@custdomain.com to joe.custdomain.com.ourzimbraserver.com. This way, all email going to Joe's old server would be forwarded Joe's new Zimbra mailbox BEFORE changing the MX records. This makes a transparent conversion because any email hitting the old server is forwarded to his Zimbra mailbox. When I do change the MX records, email will start being delivered directly to the Zimbra mailbox, but prior to full propagation of the MX records, the email hitting the old server is forwarded to the Zimbra mailbox.

This means, there is no orphaned email on the old server to be cleaned up after the propagation completes.

An additional advantage is that when we setup the new Zimbra account in the customer's email client (Outlook or Thunderbird), we can immediately delete the email account for the old server in the email client. This means we don't have to go into the customer's email client twice - once to setup the Zimbra account and once to delete the old account.

I hope the above is clear. As I mentioned above, this is exactly what we do when moving someone to a hosted Exchange mailbox.

Thanks,

Geoff