Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failed Installation on Vista

bofh is offline Elite Member

Man those stories are written by ....... (dont wanna say it loud)

If anyonelost his mails because of his mailprogramm he deserves it - really - thats what a fancy technics got developed named backup lol

even if the programm is rock solid one fail drive and all is lost so that arguemtn doens really not count

btw zimbra desktop can do autobackups with version history
    and keep the last 5 of em so it is safe to use

and you have also your own real backups dont you ? hmmm

btw dreammail form china hmm i dont dont trust china specially not iwth it products - you never know whats built in - usually i dont trust anybody - but specially not if hte first screenshot is see say remoteaccess - hmmmm

ron@ronwhite.com is offline Intermediate Member

As Clint Eastwood says in "Unforgiven" just before he puts a bullet in Gene Hackman, "Fair's got nothing to do with it."

It's just an objective observation that Zimbra is buggy and its company shows little interest in supporting it. All you have to do is read the forum entires to learn this. All the excuses for being this way isn't going to make people use it if they can't get it to run or if it loses their email.

It's also an objective observation that it's a clever program for which someone came up with the right way to do things. It's just that they haven't got the right ways to work right.

I'm working on a review of it. I'll wait until the new version that someone mentioned comes out before writing something, but as of now the story could go either way.

ron@ronwhite.com is offline Intermediate Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at Foxmail and DreamMail4.

More than a PIM and Calendar, I'm looking for something that, as Zimbra does, incorporates social media. Facebook and Twitter have already replacedemail for a lot of people.

Support? are you kiddn?

First which support you get for outlook? NONE
    yea there forums and stuff but non related to microsoft so theres no company support from microsoft even for a very expensive product - you have to pay for that a lot to get it

Second Zdesktop is supported.
    YOu got a bug go to the bugtracker and announce it (not a lot regular commercial softwarecompanys offers that)
    every report i made got responded and in the meanwhile msot of em are fixed or will be next version

man i would dream to have that in many other applications

but yea theres no real enduser support in the term of where i have to click if i want to do xxxxx

here you have to ask the community - zdesktop was amde as an addon to ZCS which is a neterprise products so this forum is normally on a real high technical level and most users are experts - more or less lol -

but really if you got anoying bugs look at the bugtracker theres a lot of support going on

this is the main reason for me to stay with zimbra 2 years ago
    the situation back then was worse and still many basics are not implemented or buggy BUT
    we users see not only its getting better but also we get really involed - bugreports are getting read and normaly fixed

cal microsoft on a premium support contract - most commn answer on a bugreport is - its not a bug its a (feature) softwaredesign we decided to go with (not a joke its really that way)

just for the record - the reson for that giant size of desktop is simple

its not a regular programm - its more a light version of the zimbra server - it run in a mozilla sandbox - so practically you use a webapplication running on a local running webserver

hard to tell the real reason why yahoo madeit that way - i would prefer a c application more - but it has one advantage
    you can use almost every zimlet (Zimbra :: Gallery) you could use on the zimbra server also on the desktop and extend functionality

you can also write your own zimlets which isnt that hard - its all javascript - way easier to learn than visual c or visual basic (which you have to for other regular products)

so everything has it ups and downs

oskar270 is offline Junior Member

Backing up your emails and loosing your emails are two different things; when I say loosing the emails I mean loosing them from the server because of software problems!!! Search for “best free emails” and on the list you will see what the reviewers are saying for some LOL.

No reason to blame ALL Chinese products. I also try not to purchase anything Chinese but we must admit that these guys are pretty smart when the time comes for software development. I have my Foxmail for more than 8 years, never backup my emails and never lost any email – well that’s a pretty good record wouldn’t you agree? The remote access manager in both Foxmail and Dreammail provides a setup to access your email when you are on the road, a service I don’t need and don’t use.

But this is not a place to discuss the cons/pros of other email programs. Zimbra may be an excellent program but they should iron out all the scripting problems they have before people can start to trust this software. A buggy program is the result of a pour code and not of the features of the program; consequently these programs also tend to have “bugs” which make the program unproductive and personally I don’t want to spend my time pointing these bugs to the developers.

Ron, there is another program you may be interested. Check SQLNOTES.NET. It’s a PIM with tons of features plus email import from Thundrbird. It’s still under development but they release stable downloads and looks pretty good to me. The development started about 5 years ago and was based on the ECCO principals.

lol sorry but youve got no idea what youre talking about.

what scripting issues?
    did you ever considered that the bugs are not a result of poor coding.
    youve to understand - 1zimbra was former developt by another company its not easy to take over a product with that size
    second its not poor coded - its the oposit its a very complext and abstracted modell - very powerful

third - the main thing zdesktop have to be able todo is sync with the server - not only mail - any object - means also adressbookentrys, calendar, files, tasks, even settings (hell even zimlet settings) getting synced

this is something not easy - outlook/exchange still have a lot of bugs regarding sync - resulting in destructive behaiviour like resync the hole mbox everytime a mail comes in for example

also things like put attachments into the file folder by one click - with the server you can have the files folder as a webdav drive btw - or files itself with versioneering

sorry but you gonna find a mailclient can do all what can zdesktop do

and the bug in zdesktop are mostly minors but no blocker and defently no dataloss bugs

just for the record regarding chinese software - there are no major players from there - but more important about trust is the law - if an european/japanese/us or whatever company doing something really bad to its customers (like spyapps sold as another produkt like an mailclient) they gonna be out of business pretty quickly - this security you dont have with chinese software at all.

its not about their people or so - its just like a thing about politic and law and lack of security
    btw i would use or buy a software from many african states (those where "generals" send you mails begging for money lol)

either you go opensource and hope someone will discover something bad - or youve to go with trust

and those things happen - there where 2 companys - one sold a game which also was include in some major carrier roms for android - that game had also a malware included
    the other company way related to them and sol the antivirus for exactly that malware

and that was a very large scale thing - forced google to remove remotly code from users phones and got big critics because of that - were talking here in a scale of 10million users affected

those tings happen more and more - so at the end it says you have to dig in bevore you can trust specially within professional used software and systems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information