Thread: Performance issues with Zimbra desktop

noobinator is offline New Member

Default Performance issues with Zimbra desktop

Our company upgraded to Zimbra open source edition and for the most part it has worked very well. The only issue i've had is that users with lower spec desktops are having problems running Zimbra desktop 7.0. The problems include it being slow to start (5-10 minutes in some cases) and there are times when it gives the error that it cannot connect to the server, this has been fixed by ending bothZimbra desktop processes and restarting Zimbra desktop. These issues have been somewhat difficult for me to reproduce because they only appear after Zimbra desktop has been installed and running for a while, and only on a low spec machine, for the first week or so it runs fine and it it runs fine on my higher spec machines. Is there something I'm doing wrong in setting this up or should I just wait for a patch to Zimbra desktop?
    Specs for problem machines:
    Win xp sp3
    1GB RAM
    2.66Ghz Pentium D

Thanks

jflanigan is offline Zimbra Employee

For the best experience, you should be running ZD 7.1.2.

If you are already on 7.1.2, you may want to monitor IO and CPU usage when ZD starts. You can also take a look at <user data>/log/zdesktop.log and possibly determine where the delay is occurring. Feel free to post the relevant sections of the log here.

You can find <user data> as described in the FAQ: Zimbra Desktop 7 FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

noobinator is offline New Member

We are already on 7.1.2, sorry should have been a little more clear in explaining what version we're on. when i monitor it it seems that the zdesktop.exe and zdclient.exe take up a fair amount of cpu usage and memory usage (top in the computer ~40%cpu) even when idle. I'll go over that zdesktop.log and see what I can find, thanks.

Thread Information