Thread: Synchronizing contacts without Zimbra account

leekyuh is offline Intermediate Member

Default Synchronizing contacts without Zimbra account

Hi, as I became a big fan of Zimbra Desktop, I installed 4 copies - 2 on linux environment and 2 on windows environment. These are actually a desktop and a laptop both having linux/windows partitions.

The problem here, is that I desperately need a way to synchronize personal contacts to take advantage of auto-completion.

The company's e-mail server is MS Exchange 2010 and I'm accessing via IMAP protocol, so obviously contacts cannot be sync'ed in normal way. So I came up with 2 ideas but failed to find any relevant information.
    1. Sync contacts with Gmail.
    2. Sync the Zimbra contacts file using Dropbox.

If anybody could tell me or direct me to a page on how to achieve this goal, please let me know. I was exporting/importing address books but I finally got really exhausted.

Thanks a lot!

storm is offline Advanced Member

I can't see a simple way *at the moment*. I had the same issue with contacts from one workplace last year.

There is a solution on the horizon though:

If Zimbra let you add remote addressbooks, you may be able to use DavMail (a conversion server which can run remotely or locally even on your laptop/pc), which would collect your contacts from Exchange and turn them into CardDav format and re-serve them. Zimbra would then sync them (both ways if desired) via a remote addressbook.

For that to work, Zimbra needs to allow remote addressbooks. Vote or comment here to get that on the roadmap: Bug 67043 – Ability to sync with remote addressbooks including CardDav and LDAP

(NB DavMail can also reserve your calenders in CalDav format - which Zimbra/Desktop will shortly be able to access, once Bug Bug 39402 – Ability to access and mount external calendars via CalDAV in ZWC reaches Zimbra Desktop - probably next release.)

Thanks strom, do you think it's possible to sync "address book" file as a temporary workaround for now?

After voting to the link you mentioned, I just found myself that I already voted to a similar one(or request):
    Bug 24467 – Ability to synchronize with Exchange account via EWS (or equivalent)
    It's been more than 3 years already since first requested, but it seems that many people are pretty interested.
    I hope Zimbra developers could allocate more resources on this address book issue.

storm is offline Advanced Member

The EWS bug you linked would be useful, thanks. Some work appears to have been done on it last year, and then nothing

It would be a lot more useful than having to use DavMail as a third party resource to 'translate'.

I'm sorry, I don't know of other ways...

Do you have Outlook access from your office machine? If so you could try: mOffice outlook sync, android outlook sync

Which syncs directly fro Outlook to Android.

Thanks, I think I'll just wait for now.
    I use more often in linux environment anyway.

Thread Information