Thread: How Do You Copy an Email Address?

btabke is offline Junior Member

Default How Do You Copy an Email Address?

What is the easiest way to copy a persons email address?

-can't do it from the email itself - all that is there is the persons name.
    1-view source and copy from headers (dumb #1)

2-highlight entire name of person and copy entire name, email address, brackets, and then edit. (still dumb and error prone #2)

3-click to other program where you need the email - then carefully mouse over persons name in zimbra - wait for popup, then type email into other program and pray you copied it right. (extremely dumb #3).

4- right click and add to contacts - then copy the contact email. (lets just say this is workable, but stupid #4)

When you do mouse over - there is this nice popup with the email address highlighted, and no way to copied it because you move the mouse and the popup is gone.

I copy an email address about 1 out of 7-10 emails (aleast 10 times a day)

Can't we have an option to "show email address" instead of the persons name? Yes name is important, but email address is MORE important. (yes, I've seen the bug/feature request for copying an email that's not the entire solution, I just want it shown and highlightable)

What am I missing here?

SpiderTech is offline Special Member

The functionality for this can be improved upon. However, your step 4 is one of the most practical ways to retrieve the email address. The primary way is to right-click the senders name. this will lock the hover pop-up so you can copy the email address. In other words make sure the senders name is highlighted then hover the mouse over it..

Hopes this helps.
    Hosted Zimbra Service and ActiveSync with
    www.SaasHost.net

btabke is offline Junior Member

> this will lock the hover pop-up so you can copy the email address

Not on mine under XP or win7. With or without bubbles...Right Clicking the list of emails, or clicking on the displayed email in the reading pane. Whenever a right click on the name - the email pop-up disappears.

This was Tested using the ZD v 7.1.2 on Windows xp, Windows 7 and MAC OS X lion.

Since this is a program issue, you can report it at Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra

Best Regards,
    www.SaasHost.net

bmw
    bmw is offline Special Member

Thumbs down

Check out Bug #31732 which is now showing a status of 'FIXED'.

I don't understand the status of this bug.
    It is marked as 'FIXED' but it is not in any usable or available version.

A new status should be created called 'TARGETED' meaning targeted for future release. This is not semantics.

Let's not lead people to believe that it is, in fact, fixed. Zimbra developers'/engineers' response was that "This Bug will not be fixed in Helix. It's a new feature of IronMaiden (ZCS 8.0)."

IronMaiden 8.0 is not even listed on the current Roadmap Zimbra Product Management Portal

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bmw View Post
    A new status should be created called 'TARGETED' meaning targeted for future release. This is not semantics.
    This bug is "FIXED" and no further status for a bug needs to be created, the Status/Resolution fields are described in bugzilla and have also been mentioned in the forums. As you can see from the descriptions that 'Fixed' means there is a fix in the tree and it's also marked as Resolved and awaiting QA - those procedures have always been followed before targeting the fix for a specific release.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank You for the update.
    www.SaasHost.net

storm is offline Advanced Member

Default Target milestones displayed seemingly arbitrarily

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This bug is "FIXED" and no further status for a bug needs to be created, the Status/Resolution fields are described in bugzilla and have also been mentioned in the forums. As you can see from the descriptions that 'Fixed' means there is a fix in the tree and it's also marked as Resolved and awaiting QA - those procedures have always been followed before targeting the fix for a specific release.
    All bugs have a field 'target milestone'.

Understandably, some items are not targeted at all, or for business reasons may not be openly targeted or displayed.

However many bugs are targeted (for example they show up in an advanced bug search for a particular target milestone) yet their 'target milestone' field is not displayed in the actual bug reports. This seems to be arbitrary, for some the target milestone shows, for others it doesn't.

Thus, I agree with what is stated above by Phoenix, and clearly since the developers state in the bug report it is for IronMaiden I agree there's no need for further clarification. But I do understand the frustration expressed by others. And the developers shouldn't have had to take the trouble to respond to me in that bug report - it should've been made clear to all.

When the 'target milestone' IS displayed in the bug reports, it saves a lot of time and speculation for those, like me, who are involved in the improving Zimbra, or who purchase or consider using Zimbra.

Furthermore, it saves Zimbra developers and forum users and moderators a lot of time and valuable space in bug reports from having to explain when an item is targeted for or not.

In this case ( https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=31732 ), the bug shows up as being for IronMaiden if I search bugs targeted to IronMaiden. But the actual bug report doesn't contain a 'target milestone' field. If it had, even after the bug was resolved, it would have been clear that it was most likely not to appear until IronMaiden. I've seen dozens of bug reports with similar (justifiable) questions about targeting, unfortunately blocking up the bug reports which should be mainly for development.

Clearly, a desperate user with days to spare could search each bug they were interested in using advance search, against each possible release and figure out the target milestone that way; or bug developers about bugs in bugzilla; or raise constant forum topics...
    ... or we could simply communicate that as many bugs as possible should include 'target milestone' when one is set, so users know that when one isn't set it is actually un-targeted or fairly secret (which isn't the case at present).
    Last edited by storm; 11-04-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Extra info

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Unfortunately the 'target' is a moveable feast and not set in stone, this bug may have a target of IronMaiden but until the release is more firm then it will remain just a 'target'. It may not make it into that release, the final bugs that make it won't be known (as far as the user is concerned) until near to a Beta release being available (and the Product Portal is updated and visible) - however frustrating that is (and I do understand that) it is the way software development works with Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

storm is offline Advanced Member

I agree totally Phoenix.

However, a 'target milestone' is just that. I think it is (or should be) clear to anyone who figures their way into bugzilla that it is highly mutable.

It doesn't detract from my point really - many bugs already have target milestones displayed explicitly, which is very helpful for all and saves everyone time (even if that milestone is only a guide).

Other bugs have target milestones but they aren't displayed - but are publicly available via a tortuous route - searching for target milestones belonging to a particular release, then searching for the bug in question.

All I'm suggesting is that these bugs should have the target milestone displayed explicitly to save time and effort in all quarters.

Thread Information