Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimlet for syncing Zimbra Desktop with Google Apps' Calendar and Address Book?

ftonella is offline New Member

Question Zimlet for syncing Zimbra Desktop with Google Apps' Calendar and Address Book?

I'm new to Zimbra Desktop. Trying to find an alternative to Outlook.

Have installed Zimbra Desktop 7.1.2 (compilation 10978) on Windows 7 Pro (32bits).

I would like to figure out how to setup my three google accounts (one gmail, two google apps) to make Calendar and Address Book work fine as I currently am able do with Outlook.

Currently I use Google Calendar Sync (Sync with Microsoft Outlook - Google Calendar Help) and Contacts Sync (Contacts Sync - Synchronize Outlook Contacts with Gmail Contacts) to keep Outlook and Google Apps accounts synced.

Is there any zimlet to let do that between Zimbra Desktop and Google Apps accounts? Is there any other way?

Thanks in advance.

pabloikba is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ftonella View Post
    I'm new to Zimbra Desktop. Trying to find an alternative to Outlook.

Have installed Zimbra Desktop 7.1.2 (compilation 10978) on Windows 7 Pro (32bits).

I would like to figure out how to setup my three google accounts (one gmail, two google apps) to make Calendar and Address Book work fine as I currently am able do with Outlook.

Currently I use Google Calendar Sync (Sync with Microsoft Outlook - Google Calendar Help) and Contacts Sync (Contacts Sync - Synchronize Outlook Contacts with Gmail Contacts) to keep Outlook and Google Apps accounts synced.

Is there any zimlet to let do that between Zimbra Desktop and Google Apps accounts? Is there any other way?

Thanks in advance.
    I just did the same thing. Unfortunately, I am going to have to stay with Tbird because the best I could get was ICAL working but it only works one way...you can add items via Zimbra to Google calendar. It's a real shame but I put 2 hours in searching everywhere and finally concluded that Zimbra Desktop isn't enabled to do that and doesn't plan to get it working in the near future. It's a real shame because I really liked the feel of ZD.
    One other thing I noticed was that the Gmail Address book is only accessible when you are composing an email from the Gmail address. Doesn't seem to be available when using a different email address. This is a big negative for me. Unless I am missing something and didn't enable it to work with other email addresses.

ftonella is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by pabloikba View Post
    I just did the same thing. Unfortunately, I am going to have to stay with Tbird because the best I could get was ICAL working but it only works one way...you can add items via Zimbra to Google calendar. It's a real shame but I put 2 hours in searching everywhere and finally concluded that Zimbra Desktop isn't enabled to do that and doesn't plan to get it working in the near future. It's a real shame because I really liked the feel of ZD.
    One other thing I noticed was that the Gmail Address book is only accessible when you are composing an email from the Gmail address. Doesn't seem to be available when using a different email address. This is a big negative for me. Unless I am missing something and didn't enable it to work with other email addresses.
    I did the same. I have installed TBird and I'm working just fine with it. It has also better synchronization than MS Outlook with Google Apps.
    The only drawback from my point of view is the look n' feel. I'm so used to Outlook... Zimbra was the closer alternative. It's a pity it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ftonella View Post
    I did the same. I have installed TBird and I'm working just fine with it. It has also better synchronization than MS Outlook with Google Apps.
    The only drawback from my point of view is the look n' feel. I'm so used to Outlook... Zimbra was the closer alternative. It's a pity it doesn't work.
    Maybe Zimbra execs don't want it to work on Desktop...maybe it works on their products that you need to pay for?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Maybe Zimbra execs don't want it to work on Desktop...maybe it works on their products that you need to pay for?
    That's a ridiculous comment, why don't you file a bug report - that would be the correct place to get problems looked at.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

In looking back over the many threads about this subject, requests and comments about the lack of ability to sync with google calendar have been going on since 2008/2009.....there are many bug reports about it. The subject has never been addressed by Zimbra. Why not?

Phoenix - any comments? How do you get a bug report acted on when they haven't addressed the issue for over 3 years?

dywang is offline Zimbra Employee

The address auto complete feature is improved in our new version not released yet, you should be able to get all mailbox's contacts, GAL etc. for auto complete. As for the google sync issue, you have to understand that ZD is first a client for our ZCS server...

lfichter is offline Starter Member

Thumbs down Seriously?

last response from Zimbra employee...

"As for the google sync issue, you have to understand that ZD is first a client for our ZCS server..."

Granted the above is of course true, however, your website purports to support full gmail integration, including calendar, which is obviously not true (or doesn't appear to be true based on various threads and your implicit statement that you simply don't, nor do you care to, support Gapps (which, btw - is gmail). Perhaps you'd be better served (well, actually, your company would be better served since you're obviously best served by making poorly thought out statements such as above) if you provided users with: 1) the features you purport to have and 2) a complete solution so that they are more inclined to consider Zimbra Server products for their companies. Realize that we are simply asking you to provide what YOU already say you provide, which is gmail calendar integration. Relying upon your companies erroneous marketing, countless users have downloaded your software, spent countless collective hours trying to make something that you market as working to in fact work (in vain) and sought your forums for guidance. Only to receive glib, thoughtless replies such as yours above. And you think there's a chance those users will: 1) continue trying to use your product, 2) remotely consider using any other Zimbra products or 3) have anything but bad things to say to others about your products? FAT CHANCE.

To paraphrase your statement back in your face:
    "...You have to understand that we users have a choice and were trying to evaluate your many offerings via Zimbra Desktop and now we will exercise our choice to scratch you off of our list for wasting our time and apparently not giving a crap."

Quote Originally Posted by lfichter View Post
    last response from Zimbra employee...

"As for the google sync issue, you have to understand that ZD is first a client for our ZCS server..."

Granted the above is of course true, however, your website purports to support full gmail integration, including calendar, which is obviously not true (or doesn't appear to be true based on various threads and your implicit statement that you simply don't, nor do you care to, support Gapps (which, btw - is gmail). Perhaps you'd be better served (well, actually, your company would be better served since you're obviously best served by making poorly thought out statements such as above) if you provided users with: 1) the features you purport to have and 2) a complete solution so that they are more inclined to consider Zimbra Server products for their companies. Realize that we are simply asking you to provide what YOU already say you provide, which is gmail calendar integration. Relying upon your companies erroneous marketing, countless users have downloaded your software, spent countless collective hours trying to make something that you market as working to in fact work (in vain) and sought your forums for guidance. Only to receive glib, thoughtless replies such as yours above. And you think there's a chance those users will: 1) continue trying to use your product, 2) remotely consider using any other Zimbra products or 3) have anything but bad things to say to others about your products? FAT CHANCE.

To paraphrase your statement back in your face:
    "...You have to understand that we users have a choice and were trying to evaluate your many offerings via Zimbra Desktop and now we will exercise our choice to scratch you off of our list for wasting our time and apparently not giving a crap."
    I couldn't have said it better, Ifichter! And, I might add, I spent days trying to reach someone by telephone - left 7 messages in different departments and finally got a call back from "Ross" who told me to download their server for free trial, etc. I looked into that and it had same probelms. This company does not have its act together. It is a big "pass" for me and our 30 users.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information