Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better??

OldManRiver is offline Junior Member

Default Better??

All,

All the reading I did on Zimbra said it was better than Thunderbird, so tried installing it today only to run into major major problems just setting up accounts on it.

Zimbra will not let me set up my 20+ GMail accounts under POP, which is a mandatory requirement for me as all accounts must go into the same email folder for all the filters and tools that I've built for my emails to work.

I get over 1,500 emails dailly, personally so my tools are more important than anything I do with email.

Therefore, if this product is superior, how do I set this up correctly and bypass this "force GMail to IMAP" BS, that I'm encountering?

Oh yeah, I was on Pegasus, before moving to TBird, 2 years ago and I made the switch then because Pegasus was "TEXT ONLY" email and needed the HTML mails. I can do everything I need in Pegasus, if this doesn't work, so let me know quickly I do not have time to waste if Zimbra is going to be BS, which is my first impression.

Thanks!

OMR

Default 4 Hour limit

All,

If I have no answer on this in 4 hours, Zimbra is history to me, no time to screw with "what could have been", need a good solution now!

OMR

d2globalinc is offline Special Member

Why the heck are you checking that many accounts with a client, you should be using server filters to eliminate all that mess.. :S
    - SLM -

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Hello,

First of all, these are community-driven forums. People will respond when they get to the message and if they have an answer. The average person doesn't typically set up 20 accounts. If you want a guaranteed four hour response to your questions, I suggest you pay Zimbra a lot of money to give you a phone number to call.

Now, onto the issue at hand. Zimbra Desktop is programmed to force Gmail to use IMAP. Why? I don't know. If you don't like it, file an enhancement request at Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra, or else change the source code and re-compile it. It's 8 lines in the ZimbraOffline/src/java/com/zimbra/cs/offline/jsp/XmailBean.java file, and remove these 8 lines.

Code:
                    } else if (email.endsWith('@' + gdomain)) {
                        if (dsType == DataSource.Type.imap) {
                            dsAttrs.put(Provisioning.A_zimbraDataSourceDomain,
                                gdomain);
                        } else {
                            addInvalid("type");
                            setError(getMessage("GmailMustUseImap"));
                        }
    However, a trick to get it to work is to set the "Email Address" field using "@Gmail.com" and make the "G" capital. Or any letter capital of that matter. The code compares the email address to a lower case "@gmail.com", so if you make any one of those letters upper-case, you will work around that road-block.

Now, as to why you need 20 email accounts to manage 1,500 messages and you can only manage to do it with POP3 seems like a bit overkill. I receive more than you every day, and can do it with one email address.

Lastly, if you think Zimbra is a pile of BS, why are you even wasting your time 1) trying it out, and 2) posting here ?

Oh, and by the way, I missed your four hour window. So I guess this was a waste of my time.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    Hello,

First of all, these are community-driven forums. People will respond when they get to the message and if they have an answer. The average person doesn't typically set up 20 accounts. If you want a guaranteed four hour response to your questions, I suggest you pay Zimbra a lot of money to give you a phone number to call.

Now, onto the issue at hand. Zimbra Desktop is programmed to force Gmail to use IMAP. Why? I don't know. If you don't like it, file an enhancement request at Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra, or else change the source code and re-compile it. It's 8 lines in the ZimbraOffline/src/java/com/zimbra/cs/offline/jsp/XmailBean.java file, and remove these 8 lines.

Code:
                    } else if (email.endsWith('@' + gdomain)) {
                        if (dsType == DataSource.Type.imap) {
                            dsAttrs.put(Provisioning.A_zimbraDataSourceDomain,
                                gdomain);
                        } else {
                            addInvalid("type");
                            setError(getMessage("GmailMustUseImap"));
                        }
    However, a trick to get it to work is to set the "Email Address" field using "@Gmail.com" and make the "G" capital. Or any letter capital of that matter. The code compares the email address to a lower case "@gmail.com", so if you make any one of those letters upper-case, you will work around that road-block.

Now, as to why you need 20 email accounts to manage 1,500 messages and you can only manage to do it with POP3 seems like a bit overkill. I receive more than you every day, and can do it with one email address.

Lastly, if you think Zimbra is a pile of BS, why are you even wasting your time 1) trying it out, and 2) posting here ?

Oh, and by the way, I missed your four hour window. So I guess this was a waste of my time.
    Krishopper,

Yup already moved on, don't have time to waste on things that do not work as advertised. "Better" means superior and any Email client not totally customizable by the end user, from the default documentation, is not "Better", so found solutions to my problem already elsewhere and Zibra will not be on my list anymore.

Had heard that the server laid on top of Postfix and was scriptable, but after this experience will not be using any Zimbra products in the forseeable future, until it truly is "Better".

Cheers!

OMR

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

Completely agree with Krishopper.

Nobody forces you to use this product and remember, you are using a community forum nobody have an obligation to you.

Iz Teremka Kennel is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
    All,

All the reading I did on Zimbra said it was better than Thunderbird, so tried installing it today only to run into major major problems just setting up accounts on it.

Zimbra will not let me set up my 20+ GMail accounts under POP, which is a mandatory requirement for me as all accounts must go into the same email folder for all the filters and tools that I've built for my emails to work.

I get over 1,500 emails dailly, personally so my tools are more important than anything I do with email.

Therefore, if this product is superior, how do I set this up correctly and bypass this "force GMail to IMAP" BS, that I'm encountering?

Oh yeah, I was on Pegasus, before moving to TBird, 2 years ago and I made the switch then because Pegasus was "TEXT ONLY" email and needed the HTML mails. I can do everything I need in Pegasus, if this doesn't work, so let me know quickly I do not have time to waste if Zimbra is going to be BS, which is my first impression.

Thanks!

OMR
    Zimbra better?

For an honest answer I would say no and the reason I am saying no is because Zimbra Desktop (ZD) is very "buggy". There are all types of issues with the ZD module. What I like about ZD is the design and interface features. It's very nice.

Have you tried the Bat? The Bat is an excellent e-mail client and it will support exactly what you are looking for. If you require any information send me a p.m.

Iz Teremka Kennel
    Last edited by Iz Teremka Kennel; 10-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quizwise View Post
    Reading about Pegasus made me smile - not used that for over 12 years - din't know it still existed
    QW,

Yup still around and now does HTML, but only works on Win, so must have Wine or VBox installed on Linux (all my computers), to run it.

Steve Harris gives lip service to thinking about OpenSource, etc for PMail, but never does it, so not a "real" option for me right now!

Thanks!

OMR

Default Bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Iz Teremka Kennel View Post
    Zimbra better?

For an honest answer I would say no and the reason I am saying no is because Zimbra Desktop (ZD) is very "buggy". There are all types of issues with the ZD module. What I like about ZD is the design and interface features. It's very nice.

Have you tried the Bat? The Bat is an excellent e-mail client and it will support exactly what you are looking for. If you require any information send me a p.m.

Iz Teremka Kennel
    IT,

Is "Bat" Linux friendly?

OMR

Iz Teremka Kennel is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
    IT,

Is "Bat" Linux friendly?

OMR
    It's a windows O/S.

Guess that does not help.

Iz Teremka Kennel