Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unable to launch Zimbra Desktop

ron@ronwhite.com is offline Intermediate Member

Question Clarifications, please

Hi, J... Thanks for your reply. I will check out all the troubleshooting tips you've suggested, but I have some more questions that will help me follow your directions, which I'm quoting in red.

- If the install wizard reports 'installation ended prematurely' you may be affected by this bug:
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=64969. A fix will be included in the upcoming ZD 7.1.3 beta; due out before the end of 2011.

Doesn't apply; this never happened.

- Make sure Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages are installed.
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

You are assuming I know how to find out if these packages are installed. It would be helpful if you would tell me how to do this, say, in the form of specific files found in specific directories, or the use of some test program.

- Make sure WSH is functioning.

Again, how am I supposed to find out if WSH is functioning?

Error "There is no script engine for file extension" when running .vbs files - The Winhelponline Blog

It's not clear if this is a part of the tip about WSH or a separate suggestions. In any case, I have not received this error message.

- Check for errors in zdesktop.log and zdesktop.out. These files can be found in the <user data> locations listed below. Errors and/or the complete files can be posted here for help with debugging.

Microsoft Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log

Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log

- Check the Windows event log (under control panel->administrative tools) for errors. The application, system, and security sections may contain script errors or indicate other problems launching ZD.

- Open a command prompt ,cd to C:\Program Files\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\win32 and then launch 'cscript zdrun.vbs'. Note any error messages which appear on the command line.

- Open a command prompt, cd to <user data>\bin and then launch 'cscript zdctl.vbs stop' followed by 'cscript zdctl.vbs start'. Note any error messages which appear on the command line.

Previously, I sent several log files to Mr. Quinn at his request. I never heard back from anyone. I will capture these logs and send them to you, but currently Zimbra is not installed as part of my own efforts to pin down the problem. I'll reinstall it, as I was planning to, and assuming my efforts didn't pan out, I'll send you the latest logs.

One thing I'm curious about is why you did not make any mention of the error problems I did have. What does it mean to you that an error message says, "Could not access Zimbra server?" or "Unable to load config file:"?

Thank you again for helping.
    Ron
    Last edited by ron@ronwhite.com; 11-11-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Additional information.

jflanigan is offline Zimbra Employee

It would be helpful if you would tell me how to do this, say, in the form of specific files found in specific directories, or the use of some test program.
    You can either look for errors referring to 'VC80.CRT' or 'VC90.CRT' in the Windows event log, or look in C:\Windows\winsxs for directories such as x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727. 762_none_10b2f55f9bffb8f8 and x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729. 4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a

Again, how am I supposed to find out if WSH is functioning?

Error "There is no script engine for file extension" when running .vbs files - The Winhelponline Blog

It's not clear if this is a part of the tip about WSH or a separate suggestions. In any case, I have not received this error message.
    If you don't see this error then WSH is probably installed correctly. You can open a command prompt and launch 'cscript'. If it is working, it will output a usage and version; 5.8 is the typical version on Windows 7.

One thing I'm curious about is why you did not make any mention of the error problems I did have. What does it mean to you that an error message says, "Could not access Zimbra server?" or "Unable to load config file:"?
    "Could not access Zimbra server" usually means that the UI cannot connect to the ZD backend. The 'server' in this case is not expected to be a remote server, but rather a local server which is part of the ZD install. With a little luck, there will be errors in zdesktop.log and/or zdesktop.out which tell us why the backend is non-responsive.

"Unable to load config file:" seems to indicate a problem processing the startup scripting. ZD relies on the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\DataRoot to find the user data directory. If that key is somehow missing or points to an invalid location you might get errors like this. If you want to attempt a completely 'clean' installation you can remove HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop as well as any previously existing user data under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop

ron@ronwhite.com is offline Intermediate Member

Default I'll try it

Thanks very much, J. I'm going to use your directions for a clean install. If that doesn't work, I'll send you the logs you mentioned. Here goes.

ron

jeffneedle is offline Member

Thank you. Just a few hours ago, I saw WinXP wanting to update my system. It downloaded a service pack for Net Framework. I installed it, and now Zimbra works fine. Very strange, indeed.

Thanks for the help.

Robert 12345 is offline Member

Hi JFlanighan,

This unable to launch problem has been haunting me ever since. I tried installing again today and i got problem with the following file:

C:\Program Files\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\win32\zdrun.vbs
    line 205

I've done all the other checks on Whs, Microsoft c++ 2011 etc and all are working. Kindly advise what could be the problem with that file.

Tks

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Robert 12345 View Post
    This unable to launch problem has been haunting me ever since. I tried installing again today and i got problem with the following file:

line 205

I've done all the other checks on Whs, Microsoft c++ 2011 etc and all are working. Kindly advise what could be the problem with that file.
    Your profile indicates that you're using Zimbra Desktop version 1.x, is that the case? If it isn't then change your profile to reflect the version you're actually using and which operating system. If you are actually using ZD 1.x then I'd suggest you move to the most recent version.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Phoenix,

Yes i'm still using version 1.x as no other versions are working.
    I tried version 2 - did not launch, version 7.1 - same story, version 7.2 - same thing. Yes i'm on Win XP pro.

If you read this post from the beginning, u'll see that i'm still having problems with zimbra despite applying all updates, checks etc.

With version 1, at least the mails are coming to my desktop and i can read them but cannot send any mails out. This is very annoying but i'm living with it.

Rgds

The message

line 205

comes immediately after installing version 7.2.

gracedman is offline Special Member

This has been absolutely maddening and inconsistent. After failing to install zimlets from the command line in our multi-user Windows Server 2003 RDS as documented in Add Flickr Zimlet all users lost access to ZDC. Moreover, we already had users lose access on the two Windows Server 2008 RDSes where we use folder redirection for APPDATA to SAMBA shares.

W2K3:
    ZDC would simply spin away when started for all users including administrator. There were no entries in the log files in either the program directory or the user directories. The event viewer seemed to indicate the zdesktop was constantly starting and stopping and that was confirmed by our watching task manager during the process.

We ran cscript zdctl.vbs start and it complained about zdctl not finding a file (78,2) (null). We ran with that for ages trying to figure out what it was missing until we got the same exact results on systems that were working!

Since we had installed to D:, we decided to uninstall and reinstall to C:. That did not solve the problem. We reinstalled to D: and, magically, for no reason we can detect, it started working. We still get the same error when running cscript zdctl.vbs stop. What in the world is going on? I'm glad it's working but we can't run a production environment so unpredictably.

W2K8:
    Here, we suspected the redirected folders on the SAMBA shares were giving us grief. ZDC broke at the same time Firefox did which made it a problem to try to access zdesktop via a browser for troubleshooting. We eventually tracked that down to file locking in sqlite on SAMBA shares. An upgrade of SAMBA on our CentOS server fixed the Firefox problem.
    It also fixed the ZDC problem on one of the servers where ZDC was installed on C:. However, it is still broken on the other server where it is installed on D:. At this point, I'm going to bed and will look at it later but any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. The inconsistency is really bedeviling. Thanks - John
    www.spiritualoutreach.com
    Making Christianity intelligible to secular society

gracedman is offline Special Member

The one W2K8 RDS is still broken but has changed. It may be due to my ignorance of how to set up RDS at least for ZDC. I put the RDS server into install mode and ran the repair application from control panel.

ZDC now opens for the administrator but not for regular users. zdesktop does not start at all for regular users. Doing cscript zdctl.vbs start and stop does seem to tell us anything because that fails on the one that is working as described earlier.

I thought it might be a permissions issue but I checked permissions all the way up the tree and there is no difference between the working and non-working one except that the working one has the trustedinstaller user as having rights. I checked effective rights for the user on zdctl.vbs and they are the same on both systems.

Where do I look next? Thanks - John
    www.spiritualoutreach.com
    Making Christianity intelligible to secular society

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information