Desktop Filters not pushed to Server?
For the past couple weeks, I've been trying to figure out why mail is slipping past the filters I've set up.
When I added the account (a Zimbra Server 6 account hosted by another firm) to my Zimbra 7 Desktop, it synced the filter list from the server to Desktop for that account. When I made changes via Desktop, for that account, they seemed to do nothing.
I only just realized, after logging in to the Server via the Web UI directly, that none of my new filters or filter changes were applied to the Server.
This seems like a rather blatant bug. If I change Filters within an account on Desktop, it only makes sense that I expect the filters on the Server to be updated, especially as the Filters preference is a child of the account's preference tree and the filters were initially synced from the server in the first place.
This is with Zimbra Desktop 7.0.1, Mac OS X. I'm not sure of the specific version of the server beyond Zimbra 6, as it's not my server and I can't seem to find the search query that will make the Web UI spit it out.
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade
Sr. Systems Administrator
Computer Science and Engineering
University of California, San Diego