Thread: Am I in the wrong place?

kragskov is offline New Member

Default Am I in the wrong place?

I recently installed Open Office on my new laptop. I had hoped to add Zimbra desktop as my e-mail and organizer. I particularly like the social media tracker application. However after choosing g-mail as the provider the account access information window asked for; and providing the information from my g-mail account in the blanks provided I cannot get access. I'm told to check my username and password both of which I know to be correct beyond the question of a doubt. And so I found my way here. My question is this. Is using your program going to be too difficult for me. For example. I'm not even sure how a forum like the one I'm on works.I have a basic rudimentary understanding of how to turn my machine on and off, surfing the web and using word and excel. This forum seems very technical from a cursory glance. For starters how do I get access to the program I've downloaded? If my username and password won't work, whose will? Thank you for any direction you can provide.

saigasmith is offline Junior Member

Zimbra desktop accesses Gmail through the IMAP protocol. You need to make sure that you have IMAP access enabled through Gmail before adding your Gmail account to Zimbra desktop.

See: Enabling IMAP - Gmail Help
    Using hosted Zimbra provided by http://www.saashost.net

Thank you. I can tell you my IMAP was in fact enabled and I could not get access. I tried and double checked everything repeatedly.

sharon_kay11 is offline Starter Member

Default Are you using 2-step verification?

If you have Google's 2-step verification turned on (where it sends a code to your cell phone) you'll need to get an application-specific password from Google. Go into your gmail settings and find a link marked "Authorizing applications & sites." It will generate a unique password for Zimbra to use.

Thank you Sharon Kay. I'll give that a try though as you might guess I'm a flip phone guy who needs his daughters help programming numbers. Thanks again.

Thread Information