Thread: Can I make previous emails available in ZD?

Physicsguy is offline Junior Member

Talking |SOLVED| Can I make previous emails available in ZD?

I was using Thnderbird when it started refusing to display any graphics. After three days of struggle, I checked the emails in one of my three accounts using Outlook (ugh) only to find that Outlook defaulted to clearing the emails from the servers when downloading them. So the history is not available from the servers. I did manage to bring the emails back into Thunderbird as local files so they aren't totally lost.

Now my question. Is there some way to make those emails so I can at least see them in ZD?
    Last edited by Physicsguy; 08-07-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Problem solved

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You'd need to connect Thunderbird to your account (as an IMAP connection) then copy the email from a local folder to the folder on your server account - that should synchronise the mail with the server. Make sure you set Thunderbird to leave a copy on the server and it must be IMAP, you should also take a backup of your email before doing any of this. When that has synchronised with the server you should have email in your server account, shutdown Thunderbird then connect using Zimbra Desktop - again, make sure you us IMAP as the connection type. Try that and see how you get on.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Physicsguy is offline Junior Member

Oh! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It worked like a charm. I had no idea I could copy files back into the IMAP account. I have all the older emails from that IMAP account now appearing in the account again. I also tested a way to get my emails that came through my two POP accounts by making a directory under the inbox for the IMAP account and copying from the inbox of the POP account into the new directory and using the IMAP account to transfer from Thunderbird. Then, at a later date, if I understand it correctly, I can move the emails in ZD from the subdirectory in the IMAP to the local directory in ZD. Unless there is an easier method.

I suppose I could do similar things for the rest of the local files in Thunderbird to local files in ZD. It is a shame that Thunderbird will not export anything.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Physicsguy View Post
    Oh! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It worked like a charm. I had no idea I could copy files back into the IMAP account. I have all the older emails from that IMAP account now appearing in the account again. I also tested a way to get my emails that came through my two POP accounts by making a directory under the inbox for the IMAP account and copying from the inbox of the POP account into the new directory and using the IMAP account to transfer from Thunderbird.
    Glad you've got it working and your email back.

Then, at a later date, if I understand it correctly, I can move the emails in ZD from the subdirectory in the IMAP to the local directory in ZD. Unless there is an easier method.
    Yes you can certainly do that to get the mail into ZD. If you're using this method for backup then do remember that ZD also has a backup feature in the Preferences page.

I suppose I could do similar things for the rest of the local files in Thunderbird to local files in ZD.
    Yes you can also do it that way, I'm sorry that it's a bit long winded but it's the only method at the moment, there is an RFE in bugzilla for the ability to import mail from other clients but that some way off.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information