Thread: got .vmx, vmdk - now what?

abrogard is offline Intermediate Member

Default got .vmx, vmdk - now what?

I was directed to Zimbra when querying how I could batch download my emails from Yahoo. Was told it was the simple way to go.

But I can understand virtually nothing I've seen since, from Zimbra's web page onwards.

So I downloaded what I hoped was the free edition and got a zipped up file which I unzipped and got 14 files headed with ZCA-6.0.13.406-412056.vmx and followed by a swag of .vmdk files.

Now what?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    I was directed to Zimbra when querying how I could batch download my emails from Yahoo. Was told it was the simple way to go.
    I assume you're looking for an email client to download your email? If that's what you're after then go to the main Zimbra web page and download the Zimbra Desktop and install that (make sure you read the documentation and/or wiki page on the product).
    Last edited by phoenix; 06-24-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I'll try it. But I need more than an email client - or I need a special email client. The point is Yahoo doesn't allow batch downloads of emails. So one has hundreds - maybe thousands - of emails up there and can't get them down.

That's what I was chasing up. Zimbra is somehow supposed to be an answer to that, unless the thread got screwed up (as they so often do) and the response wasn't a valid one.

I'll look at the desktop thing.

You mean I wasted a 2gig download? I thought it was a bit of overkill for what I wanted.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'll try it. But I need more than an email client - or I need a special email client. The point is Yahoo doesn't allow batch downloads of emails. So one has hundreds - maybe thousands - of emails up there and can't get them down.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'batch download', ZD (like any email client) will connect to the server and download all the mail from that account and keep it synchronised when any mail arrives.

That's what I was chasing up. Zimbra is somehow supposed to be an answer to that, unless the thread got screwed up (as they so often do) and the response wasn't a valid one.
    Which thread do you mean?

You mean I wasted a 2gig download? I thought it was a bit of overkill for what I wanted.
    What you've downloaded is the Zimbra Collaboration Suite which is (amongst other things) an email server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Okay, thanks for the help.

I was really talking about standard Yahoo doesn't allow downloading of emails. If you pay for 'premium' or something, you can download.

But using standard Yahoo the only download you have is cut and paste which, of course, is one at a time and useless for downing hundreds of emails.

The thread I was referring to was from somewhere else and I don't even know where, now. If I did I'd go back and see what else they say. Perhaps I can find it through my browser's history URLs.

What I want to do is download some 16000 or more emails from my Yahoo account and begin to process them, sort them. They go back years and they're beginning to 'disappear' - i.e. the early ones don't show up in searches I do.

Hmmm.. that's excellent. I well may use this desktop thing for much more than this little task.

However there are a couple of questions:

How to force it to install on some other drive? It has installed itself on the C: drive and is putting all its data, I think, in the program files/zimbra directory somewhere - and it has warned me to be sure I've got enough disk space - but I know there's not much disk space on C:. I use I: for disk space. How can I get it to use I: ?

How to get the emails out of it? I looked in the Program Files dirs and couldn't find the emails in any easily recognisable format.

I guess they're compressed or data entries in an sql table or something.

how do I get them out of there into text files ? Or into my own SQL tables?

Last edited by abrogard; 06-24-2011 at 09:06 PM.

prashant is offline Zimbra Employee

For Zimbra Desktop installation you should follow the first time users instructions mentioned at Zimbra Desktop 2 - Zimbra :: Wiki

By default Zimbra Desktop get install at "C:\Program Files\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop" in your windows machine and all the message store resides at "C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\store" in .msg format.

Hope this will help.

~=Prashant=~

Thread Information