Thread: disable "local folders"

bjquinn is offline Advanced Member

Default disable "local folders"

Sometimes my users are dumb and they store things in their Zimbra Desktop "local folders", meaning it's no longer stored on the server, and in the event of a computer crash, etc. the emails are gone. Is there any way to completely disable this feature?

Ideas, anyone? I'm really afraid to roll out Zimbra Desktop to more users, as I fear that that they'll put email in the local folders thinking they're just creating additional folders outside their inbox. I'll try to train them, of course, but that won't prevent problems. If I could at least change the header "local folders" to "don't put email here, stupid" that would be a start.

Anyone else run into this and figure a way to work around this issue? Does Zimbra Desktop at least store the email in local folders in a different physical location on the filesystem so maybe I could change permissions on it and at least force Zimbra Desktop to bomb gracelessly so that I could at least go to the user and say "it broke because you tried to put email in the local folders, remember I told you not to do that!"

SandL is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra Pain

Im having the same problem. Folks here are requesting desktop clients, and i am stearing away from zimbra because you can not locate the local folders anywhere? so it makes it hard when you need them to be reimported somewhere. I have been having my co workers export any email folders that they wish to keep and move them to a "share drive" that gets backed up on a regular basis.
    Im currently trying to give someone who had zimbra desktop, the thunderbird client because they prefer it, and i am having a heck of a time trying to find the darn zimbra desktop "local folders" that she has.... its frustrating. So if you or anyone else has any insight to the folders wereabouts please feel free to share.
    Thanks

brickjenks101 is offline Intermediate Member

this is my configuration which stops the user from being able to copy files to local folders

go to C:\Users\!USERNAME\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\store\0
    • i modified the attributes of the folder called 1 so only Administrative user had full control
    • System and USERNAME can read but not write
    • I did advanced permissions

to determine the folders to modify for this configuration I copied a 6 meg file to the local folder in zimbra desktop then searched C:\Users\!USERNAME\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\store\ for *.* and sorted the results by date and time, the 6 meg file was the last file created and located in C:\Users\!USERNAME\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\store\0\1

I have not tested this in any level of detail and i have no reason to believe this configuration will work for other people/configurations

Thread Information