Thread: Is Zimbra right for me?

Old Hawk is offline New Member

Default Is Zimbra right for me?

I haven't yet deployed Zimbra, have read all I can find about it. Sounds wonderful but I don't need all the features. I've just gone through the exhaustive process of installing and trying Windows Live Mail and it doesn't meet my needs. Asking here first.

I've been using Outlook Express 6 for many years but Msft is now forcing me to lose it. What I need are the basic features of OE.......

Separate access to each of several accounts with password access to each an option.

Completely separate operations in each account, synch only in the account I'm in, each account having its own outbox, deleted box, etc.

The ability to have Addresses specific to each account or to access a master list of addresses across all accounts.

I would hope for a fairly easy transition from OE to Zimbra including my Address files. I would need to operate in XP for now and in Windows 7 later.

And if Zimbra won't fit my needs I would very much appreciate any alternate suggestions.

Much Thanks.....

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

It will do all what you need ..
    you should try it

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

fxtrader1 is offline Junior Member

Well a simple reply "it will do all you need" is not adequate. Answer is Yes and NO. If your a simple home user - not connecting to corporate enterprise email as most users are, then dont use ZD 2.0. Use the older version 1.04 - much simpler. ZD 2.0 is meant to connect to an enterprise server. If your just using your own simple POP accounts ZD 2.0 will complicate things and not work as easy as the prior version. Trust me, I am like you and use just pop accounts and ZD 1.04 is the way to go. It won't be updated but it simply works ok. ZD 2.0 i tried to use as standalone email and it was a nightmare. Hope it helps!

Get the old 1.04 when it was by Yahoo here

If you try to use ZD 2.0 in a non enterprise environment as most home users wish to do, you will pull your hair out!
    Last edited by fxtrader1; 04-16-2011 at 12:14 PM.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

my Answer..use the latest version and i promise you will NOT pull your hair out.
    You WILL pull your hair out using 2 years old version which has no bug fix or growth path or no future...

@fxtrader1 why would you suggest someone using an old un-suppoted version?

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Old Hawk is offline New Member

Default Started setting up zimbra desktop 2

Thank you Raj,

I have begun Desktop2, still have my hair but also questions. This might not be the right place to ask so correct me if I need it....

I succeeded in setting up accounts for my ISP address and my yahoo Plus account. But

I don't find folders in each account like Outbox, Sent, Deleted, Draft, etc.

I don't find the Images icon for inserting pictures in the text area. This is a biggy for me.

I don't find the option for setting an access password for an individual account.

I am trying to set up the first of 3 Hotmail accounts that I have been accessing in OE with pop3 and can't make it work. I have tried the settings from OE
    pop3.live.com port 995
    smtp.live.com port 587

Zimbra tells me
    Cannot connect to "pop3live.com:995". Please check host/port and network connectivity.

Thank you

Thread Information