Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Control Mailto Selection in Firefox

harooki2 is offline Starter Member

Default How to Control Mailto Selection in Firefox

What file do I use to make sure Zimbra is used when I click on a mailto link from a website being displayed by Firefox? The zdesktop.exe file doesn't work for me.

odeleon is offline Advanced Member

There's a few options for this.

There's a Firefox add-on available at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/mailfrom/ ...though it's currently listed as Experimental and said to work only for AOL Mail, Google Mail and Yahoo Mail Classic.

Or you could go to about:config in FF and search for gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHos t , se it to true (change it back after you're done, for security reasons) and type into your FF URL bar javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandle r("mailto","https://yourzimbraserver/zimbra/?view=compose&to=%s","Zimbra"); ...the next time you click on a mailto URL it should open a window to select which application to use, you select Zimbra and set it to be the default.

In the background this is setting a few lines in the mimeTypes.rdf for the user's profile.

My tests were done on a FF 3.6 on linux, but a customer did it in their windows desktops and it worked for them (afaik). Haven't tried it in FF 4.0.
    Last edited by odeleon; 04-07-2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: formatting changes

odeleon is offline Advanced Member

I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was posted in the ZD forum, that information applies for ZCS, I don't know if it'll work in ZD.

SCG
    SCG is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by harooki2 View Post
    What file do I use to make sure Zimbra is used when I click on a mailto link from a website being displayed by Firefox? The zdesktop.exe file doesn't work for me.
    My company is having the same problem. We use Zimbra desktop. We all use the mail to function and Firefox gives you the option of selecting other for your email but there is no Zimbra file available to attach. The only other choices are gmail and yahoo. We want to track all sent messages in our Zimbra Desktop.
    I hope someone out there can contribute.

SCG
    SCG is offline New Member

Default mail to not working with Firefox

My company is having the same problem. We use Zimbra desktop. We all use the mail to function and Firefox gives you the option of selecting other for your email but there is no Zimbra file available to attach. The only other choices are gmail and yahoo. We want to track all sent messages in our Zimbra Desktop.
    I hope someone out there can contribute.

batfastad is offline Elite Member

We don't use Zimbra Desktop (because it's an absolute beast of a program) but do use Zimbra in Firefox Prism WebApps.
    That way it's completely isolated from other Firefox windows and has its own entries in the taskbar etc.

I've been longing to find a way to associate the mailto: handler with a Zimbra Prism webapp... as stated in my sig
    But as yet I've been unable to solve this.

The ideal situation would be for there to be some sort of lite client application that comes with Zimbra to register/preserve the mailto handler... basically like the old toaster.

However we're getting problems now since Prism is no longer being developed and is not supported by FF4.

Someone, somewhere really needs to come up with a new method for creating/creating standalone WebApps.
    Be really great if all the settings for the WebApp could be provisioned from an XML file over HTTP. So if you need to change the Zimbra host/port (or the annoying webapp.ini/prefs.js settings in Prism,) it could all be done remotely.
    Chrome/Iron have an option in the menus to create a WebApp but all HTTP(S) links then open in a new Chrome/Iron window rather than in your default browser.
    My Zimbra Bugs Wishlist: 16411, 24567, 35676, 36430, 37770, 41872, 43733, 44384, 46383, 47759
    And a way to associate mailto: handlers with a Zimbra Prism webapp

inqueue is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by odeleon View Post
    There's a few options for this.

There's a Firefox add-on available at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/mailfrom/ ...though it's currently listed as Experimental and said to work only for AOL Mail, Google Mail and Yahoo Mail Classic.

Or you could go to about:config in FF and search for gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHos t , se it to true (change it back after you're done, for security reasons) and type into your FF URL bar javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandle r("mailto","https://yourzimbraserver/zimbra/?view=compose&to=%s","Zimbra"); ...the next time you click on a mailto URL it should open a window to select which application to use, you select Zimbra and set it to be the default.

In the background this is setting a few lines in the mimeTypes.rdf for the user's profile.

My tests were done on a FF 3.6 on linux, but a customer did it in their windows desktops and it worked for them (afaik). Haven't tried it in FF 4.0.
    FF no longer accepts execution of JS in the URL bar. Here are my steps:

about:config
    search for "gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHo st" -> double-click to set "true"
    Tools -> Web Developer -> Scratchpad
    paste: javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandle r("mailto","https://yourzimbra.server.com/?view=compose&to=%s","Zimbra");
    menu: Execute -> Run
    click to allow the addition of Zimbra
    Open FF Preferences search "mail"
    For the mailto Content Type, select "Zimbra" for the Action
    Once complete, set gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHos t to "false" with a double-click.

storm is online now Advanced Member

Hi,

Thanks for those steps Iggy.

It would be great for someone to create an xpi for Zimbra, where users could simply change their Zimbra server address and not have to follow all these steps! I'll try...

Just a typo correction, and a couple of possible different or more detailed steps for recent versions of Firefox:

Here are the steps (tested up to Firefox 15):

Enter the following in the address bar: about:config

Search for "gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHo st" -> double-click it to set it as "true"

Click on Menu -> Web Developer -> Scratchpad

Paste the following into the window that opens: javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandle r("mailto","https://yourzimbra.server.com/?view=compose&to=%s","Zimbra");

Replace https://yourzimbra.server.com with the address for your Zimbra server (ensure http or https is correctly set)

Click menu: Execute -> Run

In the main firefox window, you will see a dropdown request below the menu bar. Click yes to allow the addition of Zimbra links.

Open Firefox Menu -> Preferences -> Applications

Find 'mailto'

In the mailto dropdown box, for Content Type, select "Zimbra" for the Action

Once complete, enter about:config in the address bar again

Set gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHos t to "false" with a double-click.

Mailto links from websites should now open in Zimbra

golightlygl is offline Junior Member

I'm sure this is perfect for a Zimbra server, but do you know how we would make this work for a Zimbra Desktop installation. i.e. is there an app or even a command line equivalent to invoke a Zimbra Desktop compose window?

storm is online now Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by golightlygl View Post
    I'm sure this is perfect for a Zimbra server, but do you know how we would make this work for a Zimbra Desktop installation. i.e. is there an app or even a command line equivalent to invoke a Zimbra Desktop compose window?
    Again, if you are running the latest Zimbra Desktop 7+ on Linux, Windows, or Mac, you will be able to set it to launch automatically in preferences. I don't recall which section, but probably mail or general, there is an option to use ZD as mailhandler.

So please try this, and report back.

The caveat is that Zimbra Desktop on 64 bit Linux won't do this because of missing file dependencies (there's probably a workaround).

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information