Thread: Instant Messaging in Zimbra Desktop

xforcis is offline Member

Default Instant Messaging in Zimbra Desktop

Hi I'm running Zimbra Desktop 2.0 (Last updated 10/11/2010). Somehow it doesn't show the build that's the only information I get from the "help" link in Zimbra Desktop.

I've been through many forum posts since 2008 and most of them mention referring to RFEs' that the instant messaging for Zimbra Desktop will be available soon, wait for the next release.

It's 2011 and I'm just wondering if there's an official roadmap which mentions Zimbra Instant Messaging (currently available in webmail) will be made available in Zimbra Desktop?

I have a few GLC customers who are really looking forward to run the internal chat client on Zimbra Desktop.

Appreciate any response. Thanks

peng1can is offline Senior Member

Actually, it looks like after leading us on with the beta in the past few versions, they're going to drop the IM server from ZCS (see release notes and various bugzilla entries). Unless there's a big push to get them to change their minds, I don't think we'll be seeing much more IM integration in Zimbra.

xforcis is offline Member

Hi peng1can, thanks for the response, even though its quite sad... as my customers will be let down. They have been waiting for this for quite some time actually and I kept telling them to look forward to the next release of Zimbra Desktop.

It was really too bad that even with the latest release 2.01 it was not included.

Hopefully I can still get an official response from a Zimbra member here to whether it is still ongoing or completely kicked off the shelf.

I feel it's bad to continue to give the customers' false hope. Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xforcis View Post
    Hopefully I can still get an official response from a Zimbra member here to whether it is still ongoing or completely kicked off the shelf.
    The IM server is being removed completely from the Zimbra server, there will be the ability to integrate with an already installed IM server. Search the forums for details of what's already been said on the subject. You should also search bugzilla for further details of the intended solution of interfacing to other IM servers.

[QUOTE=xforcis;210621I feel it's bad to continue to give the customers' false hope.[/QUOTE]That somewhat over-dramatic.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information