Thread: Themes & Default Email Client In Zimbra Desktop for Linux

gristleizer is offline New Member

Default Themes & Default Email Client In Zimbra Desktop for Linux

2 quick questions for other, more experienced ZD for Linux users out there that I hope someone out there has answers for.

1) How to do you add themes to Zimbra Desktop?

2) Is it possible to make Zimbra Desktop the default email client in Ubuntu 9.10? Whenever I try to manually set the command as the default client, a Prism setup window tries to run when I click on any email link.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

storm is offline Advanced Member

Hi there,

1)

a) You can download themes from Zimbra :: Gallery - search for the newer ones to ensure they are compatible.
    Older themes may be incompatible, or may lack icons for newer features.
    b) Unzip the .zip file you have downloaded.
    c) Open a file manager with root permissions (in Gnome Nautilus, in KDE Dolphin). To do this go to terminal and enter 'sudo nautilus' or 'kdesudo dolphin', followed by your root password.
    d) In the file browser window that opens, find the unzipped folder for the theme you have downloaded. (NB Be cautious because you are using root in the file browser..)
    e) Copy it and paste in in the following folder: /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/webapps/zimbra/skins/
    f) Close the file brower.
    g) Close and reopen Zimbra Desktop.
    h) Go to Preferences in Zimbra Desktop and under 'All accounts' > 'General' > 'Login options' you can select the new theme (or go back to the old theme).
    i) Ensure you click 'save' in preferences.
    i) A popup window will ask you to reload Zimbra, accept, and Zimbra Desktop should reload with your new theme.

OR

a) Vote for this bug to be implemented:
    Bug 56978 Allow user to add/remove Themes with Gallery intergration
    Last edited by storm; 02-19-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Adding relevant details

Quote Originally Posted by gristleizer View Post

2) Is it possible to make Zimbra Desktop the default email client in Ubuntu 9.10? Whenever I try to manually set the command as the default client, a Prism setup window tries to run when I click on any email link.
    It is not yet possible to do so, but this has been already been implemented, and will presumably be possible very shortly in the next alpha version (Zimbra Desktop 7 alpha 2). Or wait for Zimbra Desktop 7 GA (release version) if you're not happy running alpha/beta software.

Here is the relevant enhancement bug: Bug 33042 - Use Zimbra Desktop Client as default Email client in Linux
    Last edited by storm; 02-19-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: correcting formatting

I actually tried the first steps you detailed and the dark matter theme I downloaded and unzipped is not showing up as an option. I'll try voting for the bug and just be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by gristleizer View Post
    I actually tried the first steps you detailed and the dark matter theme I downloaded and unzipped is not showing up as an option. I'll try voting for the bug and just be patient.
    OK...Could you try with 'Morninglight' theme? As I've just tested that and it's working fine for me...

Thanks

Storm,
    Just figured out that I missed a step. I forgot to change the permissions on the darkmatter theme folder so that it was no longer viewable by only the root account. It's now working. I should've figured that it was a folder rights issue. Thanks for the responses though.

Glad you sorted it!
    Alternatively, af you unzipped the folder *before* you used root to copy and paste it (which is what I did), you should be alright to..

stalker is offline Special Member

Sorry for posting this question here..

Do you know how to deploy the theme on ZDC? I did some changes. But they are not reflecting. So, I need to redeploy the theme.. Anybody know how to do that?

Thread Information