Thread: ZDesktop and Prism future

jxn
    jxn is offline Active Member

Default ZDesktop and Prism future

Well, i know it's new news... but, I just picked this up off the mozilla labs site: https://mozillalabs.com/blog/2011/02...now-chromeless

While the article makes the bold statement "prism is now chromeless", it's clear that the two projects are not the same. I know ZD has made great strides lately building on prism (now on beta 4?), but prism has stopped shy of the wonderful Firefox 4.0 series.

Any thoughts or rumors about the future of zdesktop? is chromeless a viable alternative? what else is out there? or is zdesktop a big enough deal for forking prism (i'd guess not).

thoughts?

gbr
    gbr is offline Special Member

Beat me to it. Any ideas on future paths?

Gerald

jxn
    jxn is offline Active Member

I was hoping there would be some eager discussion on this, but perhaps Zimbra/VMWare was as surprised and disappointed by this announcement as I was...in which case I would not blame anyone for not commenting quite yet.

I wonder a bit what the status of HTML5 offline storage is...there are a lot of rumors about it, and I haven't seen any browsers boasting about full implementations of any offline storage "standards" yet, but perhaps it is a viable option somehow?

Just curious about this, and I would love to see some discussion, whether from Zimbra staff or not...

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

In a nutshell, nothing will change

We have close relationship with key Prism developer and Prism/FF are open source projects.

storm is offline Advanced Member

Although the new Mozilla project (Chromeless) looks very interesting, as Jason says, Prism was opensource and Zimbra works closely with key Prism developer Matthew Gertner.

Matthew, who was previously supported by Zimbra to enhance Prism, has continued the Prism project and recently re-named/forked it to: 'WebRunner'. It is now managed under the auspices of a new company - Salsita Software http://salsitasoft.com NB Prism was originally called WebRunner AFAIK.

Announcement: Prism is now WebRunner | Salsita Software

Project: WebRunner | Salsita Software

Thread Information