Thread: Zimbra Desktop Sync

chads is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra Desktop Sync

So we have been running Zimbra for a while now, first on a test server with just a few users and now in production with 75 users and so far its been alright. We are running ZCS 6.0.9_GA_2686.UBUNTU8_64 and Zimbra Desktop 2.0 and 2.0.1 on the PC and Mac. I have noticed that when I make a change to preferences on the webclient side, it doesn't always show up on the desktop side of things. Point in question is with autocomplete shared contacts. The settings on the server say it is on, the web says it is on, but the desktop says it is off. Searching the log file on the desktop is giving me zimbraPrefSharedAddrBookAutoCompleteEnabled FALSE. What is up with that. Is there a way that I can force a sync of all preferences down to the desktop manually? I have also had this problem with the GAL too. It would be fine on the web client but not on zimbra desktop client. This is very frustrating and users are not liking this at all. The reason we went with Zimbra was for these features and the capability to sync to the desktop all settings. I really wish there was a way to force a preference sync.

fgossart is offline Starter Member

I have the same question

is it possible or not to have all the GAL adress book in ZDesktop ?

And how to setup ?

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

currently not all preferenes are sync'ed to zd - mostly just signatures and filters are sync'ed. but that will change in near future.

GAL sync was even supported in ZD 1.0.x. You just have to set zimbraFeatureGalSyncEnabled=TRUE in COS, or for particular users.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhe View Post
    currently not all preferenes are sync'ed to zd - mostly just signatures and filters are sync'ed. but that will change in near future.

GAL sync was even supported in ZD 1.0.x. You just have to set zimbraFeatureGalSyncEnabled=TRUE in COS, or for particular users.
    So are you saying that the shared contacts autocomplete flag is not sync'd. My original question also had to do with the autocomplete for shared address books in ZD. Is it supposed to work? I have set the check box in the preferences and it still does not work, am I missing something?

autocomplete from shared contact is not supported on zd.

currently zd does not sync shared folders. so auto complete from shared contact folders can be hindered greatly by poor network condition.

once we support syncing of shared resources, this can be easily added.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhe View Post
    autocomplete from shared contact is not supported on zd.

currently zd does not sync shared folders. so auto complete from shared contact folders can be hindered greatly by poor network condition.

once we support syncing of shared resources, this can be easily added.
    But there is a setting within Preferences on Zimbra Desktop to apparently turn autocomplete on and off for shared contacts. Does this checkbox just not do anything then?

you are right, chads. that's an ui bug - we should have made it hidden. it doesn't do anything right now.

I just had a user that setup their out of office reply within ZD 2 and it did not sync up to the server. But then I tested this on another user and it was fine, it sync'd immediately ( I verified using the web client on both). One user has ZD 2.0 and one user has 2.0.1. Was this the issue? The sync between ZD and the server is really causing havoc with my users. The reason I went with ZD was because of the sync capabilities between ZD and the server. I am starting to question this, because of all the sync problems. Is there a way, easy or not, to force a sync from ZD to the server. For example a setting in one of the .conf files on ZD side to change or what? Any help would be great.

NA_smh is offline Starter Member

I'm the netadmin of my company and I choosed Zimbra suite because it gives us a lot of useful tools and I think it helps to improve the information sharing between offices.

Now I have the same problem of chads: we cannot see the addresses auto-complete for a shared address book and it's getting really frustrating to install the address book on each PC manually...

So please, work to solve this issue as soon as possible and if there's any workaround please advise.

Thread Information