Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server folders and Zimbra folders not matched up

toastysquirrel is offline Junior Member

Default Server folders and Zimbra folders not matched up

I'm just now trying out Zimbra Desktop and had some migration questions for integration with my domain's email. Namely the folder structure between Zimbra and my email doesn't link up and I wondered if there's a way to change how Zimbra's folders interact with those on the server.

For instance, on my server the folder structure looks like, where each folder is a subfolder of the inbox:

Inbox
    |_Drafts
    |_Sent
    |_Trash
    |_Archives
    |_Junk

By contrast, when I setup the account in Zimbra each folder is its own root folder (and my servers folders still showing up as subfolders to the inbox):

Inbox
    |_Drafts
    |_Sent
    |_Trash
    |_Archives
    |_Junk
    |
    Sent
    |
    Drafts
    |
    Junk
    |
    Outbox
    |
    Trash

The inbox-subfolders remain *completely* unused when composing/accessing emails via Zimbra, instead the software uses the root level folders it created... which are not accessible from my server or webmail client.

Is there a way to get Zimbra to use the folders created by my server?

Thanks!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by toastysquirrel View Post
    For instance, on my server the folder structure looks like, where each folder is a subfolder of the inbox:
    That's not correct, the folders are not a sub-folder of the Inbox - see the attached image.

Is there a way to get Zimbra to use the folders created by my server?
    ZD use exactly the same folder structure as your Zimbra server.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the reply Bill. Unfortunately I don't see the similarity. First screenshot is taken from my webmail interface for my domain's email.

The second is taken from within Zimbra. You can see the subfolders to the inbox and how the match the previous screenshot; the folders Zimbra doesn't use. Then you'll see the folders Zimbra created.. which don't show up in the webmail.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let's start with your Zimbra version. Please update your forum profile with the output of the following command (do not post the output in this thread):

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    The folder structure you show for your server doesn't look like anything that Zimbra creates, there’s no folders named spam or archives normally created for a mailbox. I'd suspect you've connected to that server using an IMAP client with that folder layout, have you? Try creating a new mailbox on the Zimbra server and see what the folder structure is, I think you'll see that your screenshot isn't 'normal'. Is there actually anything in those folders? Have you created those sub-folders in the Inbox?
    Regards

Bill

In the mean time I do have another question... what do you mean by "Zimbra Server"? The mailbox I'm having an issue with is hosted on my own domain
    I just assumed that you were connecting ZD to a Zimbra Collaboration Suite server, I guess from your response that you're not doing that.
    Regards

Bill

Thank Bill, I'll get on that and post the info. In the mean time I do have another question... what do you mean by "Zimbra Server"? The mailbox I'm having an issue with is hosted on my own domain.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I just assumed that you were connecting ZD to a Zimbra Collaboration Suite server, I guess from your response that you're not doing that.
    lol, no, sorry I didn't mention I wasn't on ZCS earlier. I'm very new to Zimbra still. I'm using ZD to access email on my personal domains via IMAP, and also some Gmail accounts. But the one that's giving me the folder-mismatching is my domain email.

So I'm not sure if I should continue along with the help you've suggested so far, or does my situation change the game completely?

So I'm not sure if I should continue along with the help you've suggested so far, or does my situation change the game completely?
    It doesn't change it except for the fact it's not a Zimbra server, my apologies for the confusion. I will say, however, that it's not usual to have sub-folders in your Inbox, the rest of the questions might still be applicable. I still suspect it's some other IMAP client creating hose folders, are you using ZD to connect to your mail server via POP3 or IMAP?
    Regards

Bill

I'm connecting via IMAP.
    Also, I'm running Windows XP, where should I execute the "zmcontrol -v" command from?

So here's what I've discovered so far from my own poking around. The *sub* folders that are created under the Inbox are created on the server's end *after* I log into an account from my domain's webmail interface. To test this I created a brand new dummy email account and -- without logging in from any client or browser -- added the profile to ZD. When it came up within ZD the only subfolder was "Spam", but none others; the folder view from within ZD looked pretty "normal". However after the creation in ZD, I then logged into the same email account from my webmail interface. The next time I loaded up ZD, the subfolders were there, just as they had been in my previous email accounts which prompted me to start this thread to begin with.

So now I know what's causing the subfolders to be created.... however that still doesn't solve the initial problem that the folders (sent, draft, trash, spam, etc) in ZD are *NOT* accessible from any webmail client on my server. So if I access my email from another computer without ZD I'm SOL for any folders other than my inbox.

In other words, anything that's in the "Sent" folder (or draft, or trash, or spam) in ZD does *NOT* show up on my domain's server.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by toastysquirrel; 12-09-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information