Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Setting Zimbra Desktop as default mail client in XP/Vista/Win 7

  1. #11
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,506
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craftedpacket View Post
    Anyone get this resolved?
    Have you tried the solution posted above and does it work for you?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  2. #12
    craftedpacket is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borngunners View Post
    I got mine working... These are the steps I use to make it work:

    As an Admin, I went to the registry and make the following changes:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>mailto>shell>open>command and set default as
    HTML Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\win32\prism\zdclient.exe" -url "%1"
    Next, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Clients>Mail and set the default as
    HTML Code:
    Zimbra Desktop
    Exit your registry and restart your computer... You should be all set after you go to internet options>programs> and set Zimbra Desktop as default instead of Outlook.

    Let me know if it works for you


    I am running windows 7 professional 64 bit. There is no "clients" inside of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...If this is the case do you create it?

  3. #13
    Saturdays is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    it didn't work for me. am using win xp SP3

  4. #14
    myriad's Avatar
    myriad is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Does not work... don't waste your time!

  5. #15
    markpr is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I have it working with a modified version of these instructions. ZD was already set as the default mail application under ZD preferences but it wasn't working. In the Win7 control panel default it also never appeared as a program option and was never associated to mail.

    What I did was clear out all the values in the first section (registry mailto), closed the registry editor, then went into ZD and set it as the default mail application (the checkbox had unchecked itself). I then checked the registry and the registry mailto section now had Zimbra values populated. Also the Win7 CP defaults now have ZimbraDesktop listed.

    Without restarting, Firefox is opening ZD correctly. This is Win7 64bit.

    BTW in craftedpacket's solution he just missed out "Software" in the registry but I didn't need to touch this. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Clients>Mail

  6. #16
    borngunners is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    @ Saturdays.
    Did you follow the instructions exactly as indicated? What version of XP are you running, is it professional or home? I did mine in professional. Also look at the update done by Markpr in this thread.

  7. #17
    Saturdays is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borngunners View Post
    @ Saturdays.
    Did you follow the instructions exactly as indicated? What version of XP are you running, is it professional or home? I did mine in professional. Also look at the update done by Markpr in this thread.
    yea, I did exactly as indicated. I am running home edition.

    I will try Mark's suggestion and will post if it works for me.

  8. #18
    bens750 is offline Trained Alumni
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Resolution for broken Win7ers?

    Sorry for updating a long dead thread, however in my experience with mailto: urls failing to open in Zimbra Desktop, I was able to fix the problem by updating

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Associations\UrlAssociations\mailto\UserChoice
    From:
    "Progid"="Thunderbird.Url.mailto"
    To:
    "Progid"="ZimbraDesktop.Url.mailto"
    Originally, even after setting Zimbra Desktop as the default through the preferences, this stayed as Thunderbird.Url.mailto.

    Manually updating it resolved my issues.

  9. #19
    iStar19 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markpr View Post
    I have it working with a modified version of these instructions. ZD was already set as the default mail application under ZD preferences but it wasn't working. In the Win7 control panel default it also never appeared as a program option and was never associated to mail.

    What I did was clear out all the values in the first section (registry mailto), closed the registry editor, then went into ZD and set it as the default mail application (the checkbox had unchecked itself). I then checked the registry and the registry mailto section now had Zimbra values populated. Also the Win7 CP defaults now have ZimbraDesktop listed.

    Without restarting, Firefox is opening ZD correctly. This is Win7 64bit.

    BTW in craftedpacket's solution he just missed out "Software" in the registry but I didn't need to touch this. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Clients>Mail
    This worked perfectly for me! Thanks Mark!

  10. #20
    frosticus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bens750 View Post
    Sorry for updating a long dead thread, however in my experience with mailto: urls failing to open in Zimbra Desktop, I was able to fix the problem by updating


    From:
    To:

    Originally, even after setting Zimbra Desktop as the default through the preferences, this stayed as Thunderbird.Url.mailto.

    Manually updating it resolved my issues.
    +1 Worked for me as well (Win7 64)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with port 25
    By yogiman in forum Installation
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 01:55 PM
  2. Did I miss something? (Zimbra GA 6.0.8 on Ubuntu 10.04)
    By vpetersson in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 06:29 AM
  3. Big Fubar on 5 FOSS GA Upgrade
    By uxbod in forum Administrators
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 03:37 AM
  4. Major Issue - 5.0RC2 NE to 5.0GA NE failed
    By DougWare in forum Installation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
  5. receiveing mail
    By maybethistime in forum Administrators
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •