Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Desktop 2.0 and GAL

chads is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra Desktop 2.0 and GAL

I have Zimbra Network Edition Server running on Ubuntu 8.04, working fine. I am also running Zimbra Desktop 2.0. My problem is the GAL. I have it hooked up to my Windows Active Directory server and it all works great within the Web Client, but not within Zimbra Desktop 2.0. When I search the GAL on the Desktop it only returns information from Zimbra and not my "LDAP" server, but the Web Client returns information from my "LDAP" server.

I haven't been able to find any help regarding this, please help.

ChaSer is offline Loyal Member

Active Directory (mode=both, server type=ldap) GAL and autocomplit works fine for me in web console and in ZD 2.0.
    Does Your autocomplit works, but GAL search not ?

It all works in web console but nothing in ZD 2.0. The wierd thing is, is that it almost seems like there is an "interal gal" setup because when I do a search or autocomplete using the GAL it returns only accounts that are setup for Zimbra. i.e. I have user1, user2, user3, etc setup as accounts within Zimbra and when I perform a search using GAL within ZD 2.0 it will only return those users. But within the web console it will return the correct users that are setup with the GAL settings below.

Here is my GAL setup:

GAL mode: External
    Most results returned by GAL search: 250
    GAL sync account name: galsync@mydomain.ca
    Datasource name for external GAL: ActiveDirectoryGAL
    External GAL polling interval: 1 days
    Server type: LDAP
    LDAP filter: (|( cn=%s*)( sn=%s*)( gn=%s*)( mail=%s*))
    Autocomplete filter: (|( cn=%s*)( sn=%s*)( gn=%s*)( mail=%s*))
    LDAP search base: ou=All Users, dc=mydomain, dc=ca
    LDAP URL: ldap://myserver:389
    Bind DN: user@mydomain.ca
    Last edited by chads; 10-20-2010 at 08:06 AM.

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

both must be TRUE:

A_zimbraFeatureGalEnabled
    A_zimbraFeatureGalSyncEnabled

also, allow auto-complete

A_zimbraFeatureGalAutoCompleteEnabled

Quote Originally Posted by jmhe View Post
    both must be TRUE:

A_zimbraFeatureGalEnabled
    A_zimbraFeatureGalSyncEnabled

also, allow auto-complete

A_zimbraFeatureGalAutoCompleteEnabled
    But it is working within the web fine, just not in ZD 2.0, hence if it is working within the web does it not come to reason that these features are turned on. I also looked within the admin console and the settings within the COS are turned on. Am I missing something, if so let me know, do I have to set these to TRUE for ZD 2.0 and if so where, if not what am I missing.

I also just checked to see if they are TRUE by running the command zmprov gac -v, so I know for certain they are TRUE, is there somewhere on ZD 2.0 that I have to set this too?
    Last edited by chads; 10-20-2010 at 12:22 PM.

ChaSer is offline Loyal Member

In ZD log (C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log\zdesktop.log) I see:
    2010-10-20 16:39:20,452 INFO [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] offline - Offline GAL sync started for myname@mycompany.com
    2010-10-20 16:39:20,640 DEBUG [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] datasource - Get reverse mapping for myname@mycompany.com__OFFLINE_GAL__, remoteId=e56ea8c6-efc6-477f-955f-9a4c078936cf:310
    2010-10-20 16:39:20,749 DEBUG [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] offline - Offline GAL contact modified: id=e56ea8c6-efc6-477f-955f-9a4c078936cf:310 name="Medvedev"
    2010-10-20 16:39:20,749 DEBUG [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] datasource - Get reverse mapping for myname@mycompany.com__OFFLINE_GAL__, remoteId=e56ea8c6-efc6-477f-955f-9a4c078936cf:368
    2010-10-20 16:39:20,765 DEBUG [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] offline - Offline GAL contact modified: id=e56ea8c6-efc6-477f-955f-9a4c078936cf:368 name="Putin"
    2010-10-20 16:39:20,780 INFO [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] offline - Offline GAL sync completed successfully for myname@mycompany.com
    Are You ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaSer View Post
    In ZD log (C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log\zdesktop.log) I see:

Are You ?
    I only see the first and last line.

2010-10-21 07:49:25,370 INFO [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] offline - Offline GAL sync started for myname@mycompany.com
    2010-10-21 07:49:25,401 INFO [sync-gal-myname@mycompany.com] [] offline - Offline GAL sync completed successfully for myname@mycompany.com

So here is where I am at. I setup the GAL after I installed ZD, and as far as I am concerned that shouldn't matter, but apparently it does. What I did, just for kicks, was to uninstall ZD from my computer and then reinstall it to see if the GAL would work, and it did.

But I still have a small problem, I have a number of other users and I don't want to have to uninstall or even recreate their ZD accounts (i.e. remove their account from ZD and readd it to ZD). I guess it wouldn't be a problem, but they have moved some mail to "Local Folders". So my question is, will their "Local Folders" be lost if I remove the ZD account and readd it, and will that fix my problem, or will I have to reinstall ZD.
    Any incite would be helpful.

So I had to reinstall ZD and then it worked. I couldn't just remove and add the account again within ZD. Is this a bug in ZD or what?

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by chads View Post
    So I had to reinstall ZD and then it worked. I couldn't just remove and add the account again within ZD. Is this a bug in ZD or what?
    could be. please help us open a bug at bugzilla.zimbra.com, product should be ZD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information