Thread: BIG Error and mistake in Zimbra Desktop

avidichard is offline New Member

Thumbs down BIG Error and mistake in Zimbra Desktop

I currently use Mozilla Thunderbird as e-mail client but the company for which I am working for uses Zimbra for their e-mail management and I wanted to use Zimbra Desktop to make everything work together. We are also trying to remove all mozilla thunderbird applications because of an error that happened. BUT, No-one here will make the move because of the following points:

What Zimbra does:

- Downloads ALL emails from the IMAP server EVEN public shared ones (NOT logical)
    - Downloads emails instead of showing the contents of your mail box.

What Zimbra does not:

- Simply show the content of your IMAP inbox and folders.
    - No shortcut for "Edit as new message"
    - Refresh folder contents on demande

Basically, Thunderbird is much faster because it dows NOT download all messages to the computer. It's an IMAP server, not POP! It shows me the contents of my folders and then downloads the information on demand. When I click on a message, it downloads THE message, not the whole contents of my inbox and folders. I don't use the quarter of the public shared folders and my used space was 577Mb on the server while as Zimbra Desktop downloaded over 4Gb! THAT'S NOT NORMAL! So until those points are not covered, Zimbra Desktop will NOT be used as a prefered mail client. Thunderbird takes maximum 15 minutes (And that' IS huge) and it's up and running, zimbra took more than 8 hours and was not still running properly!

bdial is offline Moderator

moved to zimbra desktop forum

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Hi..I think the ISSUE you talking about is not an ISSUE but a function of account type "zimbra"..when you were asked to setup a new account you choose "Zimbra" instead of "IMAP" option from the dropdown.
    if you choose "Zimbra" account type you get full mirror of the zimbra account synced on your computer so you can take use of offline/online mode of zimbra and all its collaboration functions..

if you simply choose "IMAP" as new account type you will get exactly what you need, try and let us know what you think.

* you can read about "account setup" and other things here Zimbra Desktop - Zimbra :: Wiki

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

We don't have a zimbra server, we only have the zimbra mail on a linux computer that acts as our mail server. I tried the Zimbra option but it does not even connect to my account, it only works with the IMAP option.

My big problem is not really the downloading but the fact that it downloads ALL the shared folders on the system. I mean there's like tons of archives in those shared folders and it downloads them any ways. Those folders are not mine, their not even in my account, their just visible in my account.

The syc lasted more than 8 hours and it finished with an error and a bunch of shared files downloaded on my computer! Too much!

Ok! I figured out how to configure a Zimbra account but now, I cannot edit or create any messages. I can only read them. The message creation window stays disabled. I cannot create any messages.

Another bug there!

I needed to create the Zimbra account using port 80 instead of the port configured for the IMAP account in the server.

ewilen is offline Moderator

You'll want to vote for:

Bug 34852 – Logic to download only needed messages
    Bug 39116 – Option to not download all IMAP messages at first start
    Bug 26760 – Selective sync for zimbra accounts

Also, just to be clear:
    We don't have a zimbra server, we only have the zimbra mail on a linux computer that acts as our mail server.
    Yes, you do have a Zimbra server. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use a Zimbra account in ZD.

But I don't know why you can't edit or create any messages. If your company has a policy of switching off of Thunderbird onto ZD, don't you have tech support people who can help?

Thread Information