Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra Beta 2 build 10514 and Gmail

wfinnin is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra Beta 2 build 10514 and Gmail

Installed Beta 2 as above and can't configure Gmail using the menu or as an IMAP type. keep getting the message "Cannot connect to "imap.gmail.com:993". Please check host/port and network connectivity. "

I have tried everything I can think of.

Talked to Verizon to check if their servers were blocking any ports and their answer was no. They couldn't help and suggested I check with Zimbra.

I also noticed that not all of the menu types of accounts in Beta contained the same account types as in 1.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wfinnin View Post
    Installed Beta 2 as above
    That is actually ZD 2 beta 4.

and can't configure Gmail using the menu or as an IMAP type. keep getting the message "Cannot connect to "imap.gmail.com:993". Please check host/port and network connectivity. "
    Is your gmail account set-up to accept IMAP connections? Can you telnet to that gmail server and port from your PC? Do you have a firewall or A/V scanning software on your PC and if so, what happens if you disable them? Which operating system is this (is it 32bit or 64bit)?

FWIW, it works for me on Linux (openSUSE 11.3) and all versions of Windows.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That is actually ZD 2 beta 4.

Is your gmail account set-up to accept IMAP connections? Can you telnet to that gmail server and port from your PC? Do you have a firewall or A/V scanning software on your PC and if so, what happens if you disable them? Which operating system is this (is it 32bit or 64bit)?

FWIW, it works for me on Linux (openSUSE 11.3) and all versions of Windows.
    I have set the gmail account to accept IMAP connections.
    I'm not sure how to check the telnet and port, could you help in this area.
    I'm using ZoneAlarm extreme security and there seems to be no difference when I disable the security software.
    I an running Windows 7 Professional (32bit)

I'm not sure how to check the telnet and port, could you help in this area.
    You use the telnet command to connect to the server and see if it connects you like this:

Code:
    telnet imap.gmail.com 993
    You run that in a command prompt but if it says 'command not found', follow the directions here (and try again):

Telnet for Windows Vista & Windows 7
    Regards

Bill

Default Telnet & Gmail

Thank you for your help with telnet. I checked and it isrunning. Since I poster this message, I was on-line with my server provider (Verizon) and it was suggested I check the security settings for my wireless router.

I checked and found that the security settings were set to there highest settings, and when I set them lower, I was finally able to connect to the Zimbre server and gmail. I was finally able to open the gmail account and download the messager.

However I had to uninstall Beta 2 and reinstall version 1.0 4.

Where can I ask general questions about the differences between the 2 versions? I am confused as where I can get answers.

Thank you for your help with telnet. I checked and it isrunning. Since I poster this message, I was on-line with my server provider (Verizon) and it was suggested I check the security settings for my wireless router.

I checked and found that the security settings were set to there highest settings, and when I set them lower, I was finally able to connect to the Zimbre server and gmail.
    I guess it was blocking outbound connection then?

However I had to uninstall Beta 2 and reinstall version 1.0 4.
    Why did you "have to" uninstall the ZD 2 beta?

Where can I ask general questions about the differences between the 2 versions? I am confused as where I can get answers.
    Generally you'll get answers in the ZD General Questions forum. The basic differences are really that ZD 1 is based on an older version of the Zimbra server code and ZD 2 is based on the Zimbra 6.x code and all the features in there - a point to note, ZD 1 will not be developed any further and ZD 2 is the latest version. You can look at the Product Portal to see what changes are going into each version (plus bugzilla if you want to search for all the outstanding issues and RFEs).
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information