Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing issue with "Tar-GZipped" (.tgz) file

ksri99 is offline New Member

Default Importing issue with "Tar-GZipped" (.tgz) file

Hello All,

I'm new to Zimbra desktop and facing this issue. I have the latest version of Zimbra desktop (downloaded last week). I pointed the Desktop to one of my email accounts, synchronized the email with Zimbra desktop and exported the emails into "Tar-GZipped" (.tgz) format.

Now after a clean up, I want to re-import the .tgz file using Zimbra Desktop back into the email account. The email account shows green synched. status icon before I start importing. When I go to preferences/import-export tab and do the import, it displays "Import Started" notification for a moment and then nothing happens. I waited long enough to determine nothing is happening. Email sync. with the mail server works just fine, the import part is the one which is not working.

The .tgz file is about 2GB in size. This is being done on Windows Vista system.

Last week, I did migrate one of my other accounts, which was about 1.2 GB in size the same way as above and it worked just fine. That was done on Windows XP.

I have a very urgent need to do this import and your help is very much appreciated. Please point me to how to debug this. Is Vista supported? Where could the import log information be found? Is there any restriction on the size of the archive that could be imported?

Thank you very much!

-Sri.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ksri99 View Post
    Hello All,

I'm new to Zimbra desktop and facing this issue. I have the latest version of Zimbra desktop (downloaded last week).
    The 'latest' version of ZD is 2 Beta 2, is that what you're using? If not I'd suggest you download that and try again, the announcement and download link are in the Zimbra Desktop forums.
    Last edited by phoenix; 04-06-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

tikal is offline Senior Member

I'm having the same issue with ZD2 beta 2. I have a .tgz export from ZD that shows up as 2.13GB in Windows 7. No matter how long I let it sit there and do it's thing (8+ hours) it never does the import. Not ever a partial import.

I tried a fresh install of ZD2 beta 2 on on another Windows 7 machine using the same .tgz, and I get the same behavior when trying to import. This is super critical for me right now, as I need to get these emails imported into the ZCS server asap. The only place they exist right now is the .tgz file.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The 'latest' version of ZD is 2 Beta 2, is that what you're using? Inot I'd suggest you download that and try again, the announcement and download link are in the Zimbra Desktop forums.
    @Phoenix: Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the latest ZD 2 beta 2, but it fails (on Windows Vista). I've imported 1.5 GB .tgz file successfully with previous version successfully on Windows XP. I'm stuck to Vista for this one import. Is there something that could be done? is it due to the OS?

Any help is apprecited. I also tried starting ZD using "As Administrator" option by right clicking the link.

I still have this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some observations:

ZD import on Windows Vista does not work. I had few archives (.tgz) of 1.1GB, 1.7GB and 2.2 GB. The import failed on Windows Vista machine for all 3 archives with both "1_0_4_build_1833" and "ZD 2 Beta 2".

ZD import succeeded for archives (.tgz) of 1.1GB and 1.7GB on Windows XP machine with ZD 1.0.4.

Now I'm stuck with the 2.2GB archive. Its not going through using any combination. This is very critical for me to migrate this data over. I feel this may be due to a size restriction or something of that nature. There are no errors reported in the log files. When I go to preferences and import, it says "Import Started" and then nothing happens, even after waiting for hours.

Any help is very very much appreciated!!

ezu
    ezu is offline Loyal Member

Default Importing tgz file does NOT work at all

Quote Originally Posted by ksri99 View Post
    I still have this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some observations:

ZD import on Windows Vista does not work. I had few archives (.tgz) of 1.1GB, 1.7GB and 2.2 GB. The import failed on Windows Vista machine for all 3 archives with both "1_0_4_build_1833" and "ZD 2 Beta 2".

ZD import succeeded for archives (.tgz) of 1.1GB and 1.7GB on Windows XP machine with ZD 1.0.4.

Now I'm stuck with the 2.2GB archive. Its not going through using any combination. This is very critical for me to migrate this data over. I feel this may be due to a size restriction or something of that nature. There are no errors reported in the log files. When I go to preferences and import, it says "Import Started" and then nothing happens, even after waiting for hours.

Any help is very very much appreciated!!
    Same here. It says Import started momentarily and then nothing happens after hours and hours also. I am using latest Zimbra released version 2.0.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OS. The only thing different is now Zimbra is installed in default location as against D:\Zimbra where Zimbra 1.0.4 was installed earlier.

SiliconJunkie is offline Loyal Member

I am having the same problem, and I need to recover about 45 mailboxes via a client-side migration due to catastrophic failure, because the backups were also corrupted.

Someone, please provide an answer to this vexing problem!

LMStone is offline Moderator

With larger mailbox imports we have found the curl method works best:

Code:
    curl -k -u admin:PASSWORD --data-binary @/path/to/USER-account.tgz "https://MAILSTORE-FQDN:7071/service/home/USER@DOMAIN/?fmt=tgz&resolve=skip"
    Just make sure you use the resolve option appropriate for what you need (the resolve option is how Zimbra will handle conflicts; "skip" is the default and leaves whatever is already in the mailbox intact).

Hope that helps,
    Mark

SiliconJunkie is offline Loyal Member

Rick King with Zimbra support gave me this little gem, which worked a charm!

You have to get the tar/g-zipped archive into the /tmp/ directory on your Zimbra box. Then, as zimbra:

Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com pru "//?fmt=tgz&resolve=reset" /tmp/filename.tgz
    ...where user@domain.com is your user's mailbox (of course), and filename.tgz is the name of the tar/g-zipped archive.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Just be careful with the "resolve= " parameter, as that determines how Zimbra will handle conflicts between the contents of the tgz file being imported and the contents of the mailbox. "Reset" does just what it says: it pretty much wipes out the existing mailbox, which may or may not be what you want.

FWIW, "skip" is the default and leaves existing mailbox items in place.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information