Thread: [SOLVED] AVG 9 and Fakealert warning

sem
    sem is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] AVG 9 and Fakealert warning

ZDesktop 2 beta 2, network install of AVG 9, ZCS 6.06 community.

Installed Zdesktop on a couple machines as a test. All was fine until I checked "show popup when message arrives" to have the really neat notification by the clock appear.

AVG 9 resident shield then complained as soon as a message was incoming that there was a FakeAlert virus:

C:\Documents and Settings\nkg\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\store\incoming\1272532896531-533.msg Virus found FakeAlert Object is inaccessible.

There were loads of these for each time the pop up appeared.

I will raise this with avg as the only way to workaround is to either turn off resident shield or shut down the malware scanning and then restart zimbra desktop.

is this something zimbra can avoid or is there more info that can be sent to avg?

sem

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I believe in AVG you can also exclude the ZD folders from the scan, try that first.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

sem

Yep - that was their advice - exclude the directory for the store and let the personal email scanner do its thing. Hopefully I can specify a single %UserProfile% path in the AVG admin.

I'll report back if this works ok.

Edit:

Looks like that worked. Roll on final Zdesktop.

sem
    Last edited by sem; 05-05-2010 at 07:26 AM.

sem

Spoke too soon. Out of three of the users testing ZD, two have had trouble - they're included on general marketing contact addresses. So it's fakealert getting through that's causing the issues.

Problem is, the client is considering moving to ZCS network edition and most of the users will use the outlook connector - apparently this is a problem for that too and people are having to log into the web client to remove messages.

sem

Edit: I see this is supposed to be solved by a clamAV update rolled into 6.0.7 - I'll wait for that before upgrading from 6.0.5 and keep fingers crossed.
    Last edited by sem; 05-19-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Thread Information