Thread: [SOLVED] ZCS vs. ZD, What's the difference?

snowshed is offline Member

Question [SOLVED] ZCS vs. ZD, What's the difference?

In years past, I've been using Outlook for my email client under Windows XP. When the XP machine went to Computer Heaven (or Hell, depending on your opinion of MS), I bought an iMac to get away from constant viruses, updates, etc.

I've been looking for an email client for the Mac to replace Apple's Mail.app that comes with the computer.

I think Zimbra may be the answer, but as a poster in another thread noted, Zimbra's help system seems geared towards IT oriented people. It's as if Yahoo no longer cares about the individual.

"Desktop" is to me a misnomer anyway, since the program does not replace my desktop, it's just a piece of software that runs from my desktop.

For an individual user like myself, who may or may not have a home network with the network having a mix of operating systems, what exactly is the difference between Z Desktop and Z Collaboration Suite?

Thanks.

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

ZCS is a full server set of applications meant to run as an email server for clients to connect to. It isn't really meant for home users unless they are running an email server at their home.

ZD is an email client, like Mail.app, Thunderbird, or Outlook. It allows connections to many different types of servers.

Just as a note: Zimbra was acquired by vmware so it is no longer a yahoo company. Support for ZD is handled through this section of the forums, as well as Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and if somebody has an answer hopefully they will share with the rest of us

If you were interested in the details, technically ZD is a miniturized installation of ZCS with many features removed, along with quite a few features re-written completely to allow it to run solely in java. This allows much of the core components of the ZCS architecture to be installed on a multitude of platforms. Since it is set up like this, it is simple to setup syncing with a full ZCS server in ZD.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    ZCS is a full server set of applications meant to run as an email server for clients to connect to. It isn't really meant for home users unless they are running an email server at their home.

ZD is an email client, like Mail.app, Thunderbird, or Outlook. It allows connections to many different types of servers.

Just as a note: Zimbra was acquired by vmware so it is no longer a yahoo company. Support for ZD is handled through this section of the forums, as well as Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and if somebody has an answer hopefully they will share with the rest of us

If you were interested in the details, technically ZD is a miniturized installation of ZCS with many features removed, along with quite a few features re-written completely to allow it to run solely in java. This allows much of the core components of the ZCS architecture to be installed on a multitude of platforms. Since it is set up like this, it is simple to setup syncing with a full ZCS server in ZD.

Then it looks like ZD will possibly work for me. I've still got some "larnin'" to do, and more specific questions to ask, but I'll start a new thread for that.

I appreciate the extra notes and details. Thanks. It's likely I'd have asked those questions later anyway, and I was really curious why VM Ware was on the web page.

If I end up using it to replace Outlook, I might send them an email and suggest they change the name from Zimbra Desktop to Zimbra Email, so the name is much more descriptively accurate. And maybe some documentation for just ZD too, so folks like me can get some questions answered, hopefully, by reading the docs!

You might want to take a look at the end user guide for ZD located here: Zimbra Mail Help

There is also quite a few articles in the Wiki related to Zimbra Dekstop: Category:Zimbra Desktop - Zimbra :: Wiki

Odly enough... the EUG is titled Zimbra Mail Help... but it's Zimbra Desktop everywhere else. The name always bugged me a bit as well.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    You might want to take a look at the end user guide for ZD located here: Zimbra Mail Help

There is also quite a few articles in the Wiki related to Zimbra Dekstop: Category:Zimbra Desktop - Zimbra :: Wiki

Odly enough... the EUG is titled Zimbra Mail Help... but it's Zimbra Desktop everywhere else. The name always bugged me a bit as well.
    DANG!!!!! You're quick! You answered before I could fix a spelling boo-boo in the the Zimbra version and OS's used in my profile! Thanks.

I'd already found the mail help page and bookmarked it. But I'm wishing there was a PDF file for downloading. I do not have unlimited data access nor full speed DSL as I'm on a satellite connection. I get bummed at upper management or whomever in an organization makes the decision/conclusion that everyone has the ability to do things via the web and HTML like it's having running water. ( I don't have running water at the moment either, frozen water line! )

I hadn't found the other page yet, so it's now bookmarked.

Time for a new thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ken Springer

"All progress depends upon the unreasonable person."
    George Bernard Shaw

Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for
    cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!"
    President William McKinley

http://www.greeleynet.com/~wordwork/airpage.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't find a PDF version of the EUG, so I filed Bug 45534 - PDF version of End User Guide.

Thread Information