Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I change the max signature length limit in ZD?

icfantv is offline Junior Member

Default How do I change the max signature length limit in ZD?

[UPDATED] - This 1024 character limit appears only to apply to HTML signatures.

I've done quite a bit of searching and while the default max length is 1024, changing the various J/S files where SIGNATURE_MAX_LENGTH appears and zimbra-attrs.xml does not seem to have any affect - even after cleaning out the work directory and restarting ZD (both daemon and client).

Is there some other cache I'm missing or is there some other config file of which I am not aware so I can change this setting?

ZD blows Thunderbird out of the water on Linux and I think this is the last thing keeping me from making the full conversion.

Thanks,

--adam
    Last edited by icfantv; 01-15-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: adding update to message based on more toying around

Grahama is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by icfantv View Post
    [UPDATED] - This 1024 character limit appears only to apply to HTML signatures.

I've done quite a bit of searching and while the default max length is 1024, changing the various J/S files where SIGNATURE_MAX_LENGTH appears and zimbra-attrs.xml does not seem to have any affect - even after cleaning out the work directory and restarting ZD (both daemon and client).

Is there some other cache I'm missing or is there some other config file of which I am not aware so I can change this setting?

ZD blows Thunderbird out of the water on Linux and I think this is the last thing keeping me from making the full conversion.

Thanks,

--adam
    Did you get an answer to this as I have ZD 7 Beta and have the exact same issue which is (ironically) the reason why we are unable to adopt as our business has a very specific policy on signatures which are too long?

icfantv is offline Junior Member

Unfortunately no. I'm pretty sure i filed a bug against this but have no idea what the status is on it as I don't recall seeing anything for quite some time.

Have you checked the bug pages?

btw, this issue only applied to HTML signatures.

--a

Default Thanks - shame

Thank you for getting back to me, its a shame really as I was keen to progress things with Zimbra but have been derailed with this issue, it always seems so trivial but image is very important and I can see why colleagues (and clients) would not want to move across to something that they perceive to be being inferior in this single respect.

I have not looked at the bug list but have looked at 2.0 and 7.0 ZD and both seem to have the same restriction.

I appreciate your comments. What did you do in the end with regards your testing and migrating to Zimbra?

Graham

storm is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grahama View Post
    Thank you for getting back to me, its a shame really as I was keen to progress things with Zimbra but have been derailed with this issue, it always seems so trivial but image is very important and I can see why colleagues (and clients) would not want to move across to something that they perceive to be being inferior in this single respect.

I have not looked at the bug list but have looked at 2.0 and 7.0 ZD and both seem to have the same restriction.

I appreciate your comments. What did you do in the end with regards your testing and migrating to Zimbra?

Graham
    Are you both using Zimbra Desktop with a Zimbra account?
    If you're using a non-Zimbra account, then the fix listed should work. If you are using a Zimbra account connected with your Zimbra Desktop program, then you also need to change the signature limit on the Zimbra server (or ask the Administrator to do so...)

See here:
    [SOLVED] Zimbra Desktop Email Signature Max Length

MrChuck is offline Junior Member

Default Solved? Not as such..

This is not particularly well solved if you have to destroy your account in order to save it. I have just dumped thunderbird because of annoying bugs (IMAP folder support is cataclysmically broken) only to find more--mind you, zimbra seems to be much better by and large.

One thing tbird does do well, you can just insert a .html file instead of all this messing about with an editor. Why not just do that and forget about these limits altogether?

MrChuck is offline Junior Member

And not solved anyway. I reinstalled zd, and changed the attribute to 0 -- unlimited according to the comments in the file -- BEFORE I recreated my account. Still no dice. It stubbornly refuses to accept my signature.html as a cut-and-paste. The darn thing is only about 2k.

This is driving me nuts, and it now looks a lot like the limit is hard coded somewhere else anyway.

For the record I'm using ZD with a hosted IMAP service using Courier--pretty generic stuff.

I'm ready to like zimbra a lot--except for this very irritating problem!

MrChuck
    Last edited by MrChuck; 02-18-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Okay, similar outcome to MrChuck.

For clarity.

I am on Mac OS X with Zimbra Desktop connecting with IMAP with no other Zimbra collaboration software in play (at all).

I opened and edited the file zimbra-attrs.xml which is located in /Applications/Zimbra Desktop/data/conf/attrs.

I found the section :

<attr id="454" name="zimbraMailSignatureMaxLength" type="long" min="0" cardinality="single" optionalIn="account,cos" flags="accountInfo,accountInherited">
    <defaultCOSValue>0</defaultCOSValue>
    <desc>maximum length of mail signature, 0 means unlimited. If not set, default is 1024</desc>
    </attr>

As you can see this now set to be zero '0' as the description says it should be for an unlimited size.

I saved and rebooted (therefore all files re loaded) and still the same problem with the same error message.

The frustration here, similar to MrChuck is that I have ben raving about how we can ditch all of the Outlook clients and move across to ZDesktop and then move out the Exchange servers and introduce Zimbra Ent, but as I cant get a fully acceptably working client (our team needs the signature, which is fairness is not that large) we cant progress.

If anyone (moderator or otherwise) has any ideas on how to resolve this please post.

Graham

One last point - I also change the value in the user folder : /Users/_user_/Library/Zimbra Desktop/conf/attrs

I deleted the account and recreated in case the values need to be picked up as part of the account creation, this did not work either.

Still no joy :-(

erwinrm is offline Starter Member

On Win 7 64-bit, I was able to make it work by changing the setting to 0. I had to modify both files under the user's local appdata directory, as well as under the Program Files (x86) directory.

I have not tried this change under Ubuntu, yet. I can't get Zimbra to open up in a browser by clicking the link. The javascript command seems to be ignored, and I have to type in the url with the new port -- very frustrating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information