Thread: Force ask for password

bonadio is offline Loyal Member

Default Force ask for password

Hello

Is it possible to force ZD to always ask for the user password?

Thanks

MxToolBox is offline Junior Member

It sounds like you are using a public desktop and want just a bit more security for your users. Zimbra Desktop is an application so trying to lock it down is difficult. Its like trying to lock Word or Notepad, they just aren't designed to do that.

I am not sure what your end goal is, but you could try lowering the screen saver threshold so that the computer locks after just a few minutes of inactivity?

Thanks,
    @MxToolBox

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

I'm not sure you are trying to use ZD in any manner close to what it was intended for. Would you expect to have to enter a password to open Thunderbird or Outlook? (Just to open the application mind you... not allow it to connect to any service).

As far as I know there is no email client that requires you to enter a password just to open it.

In Zimbra Desktop's case in particular... which password would you even want it to prompt you with? With multiple accounts you can't just use one of the account's passwords so you would have to create the functionality for it to ask for a password all by itself.

bonadio is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by MxToolBox View Post
    It sounds like you are using a public desktop and want just a bit more security for your users. Zimbra Desktop is an application so trying to lock it down is difficult. Its like trying to lock Word or Notepad, they just aren't designed to do that.

I am not sure what your end goal is, but you could try lowering the screen saver threshold so that the computer locks after just a few minutes of inactivity?

Thanks,
    @MxToolBox

This was a request from one manager, he was used to use Outlook express and had this feature. We directed him to lock his computer (Windows lock). But would be a good addon to ZD

Thanks

Dirk is offline Moderator

I think Outlook Express, if you didnt save the POP3 password, would prompt for a password to connect to the mailbox and therefore to download new mail, but if you didnt enter the password, you would still have access to all email already downloaded.

I dont think that's a feature that would be implimented in zimbra desktop, passwording the entire app may happen, but it would never behave the was outlook does.

As ArcaneMagus says though, which password would be used? The windows login password, the password of the first email account added? etc. I know the dev team are always keen on adding new features; if you can describe exactly what you want and why it's be beneficial, I'm sure it would stand a chance of happening, but as currently described, I just dont see it.

Thread Information