Thread: error when adding new account

Ronhud is offline Junior Member

Default error when adding new account

I have just downloaded and installed Zimbra Desktop. I tried to create new email account and received this message

service.FAILURE: system failure: Unable to connect to IMAP server: DataSource: { id=557c375d-2fdf-4454-9239-9bd55a43ab40, type=pop3, isEnabled=true, name=retherington@talktalk.net, host=mail.talktalk.net, port=110, connectionType=cleartext, username=retherington@talktalk.net, folderId=2 }

I've double checked the data I entered and it is all as should be. I hope someone can help, I dont want Windows 7 Live Mail!

Ron

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhud View Post
    I have just downloaded and installed Zimbra Desktop. I tried to create new email account and received this message

service.FAILURE: system failure: Unable to connect to IMAP server: DataSource: { id=557c375d-2fdf-4454-9239-9bd55a43ab40, type=pop3, isEnabled=true, name=retherington@talktalk.net, host=mail.talktalk.net, port=110, connectionType=cleartext, username=retherington@talktalk.net, folderId=2 }

I've double checked the data I entered and it is all as should be. I hope someone can help, I dont want Windows 7 Live Mail!
    There's a contradiction in the error message you've received. It' says it's having trouble trying to connect to an IMAP server yet the port 110 is for a POP3 server. Did you create this as an IMAP or POP3 account and/or did you chnage the port number? The IMAP port should be 143, can you check the settings again.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the reply Phoenix. I selected pop from the drop down list so I was also surprised to see the message refer to imap. The port nos appeared without any action on my part. The Talktalk server is a pop3 so I'm not sure how to proceed frrom here. Any help really appreciated.
    Ron

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhud View Post
    The Talktalk server is a pop3 so I'm not sure how to proceed frrom here. Any help really appreciated.
    Can you go back to the Setup page (top right of the GUI) and remove the Account you've created. Try creating a new account and set it up as an IMAP account, you should use the same incoming mail server address and the port number should be set to 143, see if that connects correctly.

Sorry, I've edited this post since you've received the notification - try the changes above.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill
    The page I am entering the details into doesnt have anything in the top right - it is the Add New Account page which I got to from the Welcome to Zimbra Desktop page where 4 steps are described with just one button - 'Add New Account'

So I dont have an option to delete an account and I am assuming that one hasnt been created yet. Anyway I tried changing the type to IMAP and the incoming port to 143 but the validation process returned the same error.

Could it be something to do with Windows 7? I've just installed it and spent the last couple of days resolving various issues with drivers etc.

Thanks for the help
    Ron

Following on my last message :-

I have another PC running XP and I use Outlook Express on that. I have double checked that is a pop3 server , the ports are 110 and 25 and I have entered the correct incoming and smtp details.

I assume that validation means that an attempt is made to connect to the mail server with the data provided so I now wonder if there is a glitch at the Zambra server point.

I really would like to get an alternative email app on my Windows 7 pc and Zambra looks very inviting.
    Regards
    Ron

A bit more info.
    I tried a command line test :-
    telnet talktalk.net 110 and it failed.
    So I wondered if the AVG firewall was blocking the port. I disabled the firewall and tried again but it still failed.

Regards
    Ron

............As a test I have just downloaded the Zimbra Desktop onto my XP machine and it worked fine. This pc is networked to the Windows 7 pc via a wireless router so it looks as if Windows 7 is the culprit. However it is the Windows 7 pc that I need Zimbra to work on. When the setup starts Zimbra displays a dialog referring to the core service port - could this be the problem. Is there anywhere I can read how this works and what options there are?
    Thanks
    Ron

I have just installed Thunderbird and as that went ok I will stay with it. Thanks for the help so far anyway.
    Ron

Thread Information