Thread: Migration from standalone Outlook

BlueAdept is offline New Member

Default Migration from standalone Outlook

Hi ,

I'm using Outlook and have some .pst (also from previous account) that I would like to import into Zimbra. The PST wizard requires an Exchange server. Is there any way to bypass that, so I can import stuff from local outlook to Zimbra?

MS Outlook can't export mails in TGZ form, so Im not able to migrate any mails. Suggestions?

Mike

soxfan is offline Moderator

Are you sure the PST migration tool requires an Exchange server? It's been a while since we did our migration, and we didn't end up using the PST tool, but I do seem to remember testing it and we don't have an Exchange server.

Probably not a good solution if you've got a ton of users to migrate, but you can set-up an IMAP account in Outlook pointing to your Zimbra server, and simply copy-and-paste / drag-and-drop from your existing accounts to the Zimbra server. If you go with this method you might want to search around the forums to see if there are any known "gotchas". You might also want to test with a few emails first before copying your entire mailbox.

Angry

Well, when I try to install the PST Wizard, it asks me for an Exchange server, and won't install when I don't enter one.

I'm also using Zimbra as a client, not as a server. I just want to copy my old mail to Zimbra.

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

Are you sure you're using the PST Import Wizard and not the Exchange Migration Wizard? The PST Import Wizard doesn't ask for an exchange server. It just takes a PST and imports it into an account on the zimbra server.

Can I see a screenshot?

Well, I downloaded two files:
    * ZCSPSTImportWizard-5.0.18_GA_3009.exe, and
    * ZCSPSTImportWizard-5.0.10_GA_2638.exe

assuming that these were the PST Import wizard (couldn't find anything else). These ask for the hostname.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

Yes -- it says "Enter the hostname and port of the Zimbra server". That's the Zimbra server you are migrating to. Then just the username and password of an account in that zimbra server. Nothing to do with Exchange.

Maybe I haven't been clear enough: I'm not running ANY server. I just want to change from Outlook client (non-Exchange) to Zimbra client (non-server), but I do need/want to keep my mail available. However, importing in Zimbra is only TGZ which cannot be generated by Outlook (or any other email proggies that I'm aware of).

Kinda ridiculous not being able to import from Outlook, imo.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdept View Post
    Maybe I haven't been clear enough: I'm not running ANY server. I just want to change from Outlook client (non-Exchange) to Zimbra client (non-server), but I do need/want to keep my mail available. However, importing in Zimbra is only TGZ which cannot be generated by Outlook (or any other email proggies that I'm aware of).
    The confusion arises because you've posted this in the Zimbra Collaboration Suit/Migration forum and are trying to use the .pst import tool which is a ZCS tool for importing your email into a ZCS server.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdept View Post
    Kinda ridiculous not being able to import from Outlook, imo.
    Have you been connected (or are you) to an Exchange server with this Outlook? You could connect your Outlook to an IMAP server and transfer the mail to that and then use Zimbra Desktop to retrieve it. The Zimbra Desktop is a client for email server (Zimbra, Exchange, gmail etc.) and is not, at this stage, designed to import mail from other email clients.

I'll move this thread to the correct Zimbra Desktop forum.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information