Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Give Up.

Tpaul is offline Junior Member

Default I Give Up.

Desktop just quit on me earlier in the week after having run it successfully for months.

I was running 1.02 Build 1652, when the desktop refused to open. I posted my error messages under the Errors section, but got absolutely no response.

I found a few vague answers, but nothing worked. I downloaded 1.03 Build 1691, and yet again, I can't open the desktop. I run XP SP3, everything is current from Microsoft.

I can't get get to the error console to even post the error/warning messages.

I am dumping Zimbra. I don't even know where to begin sorting out the issues with this mess of a piece of software - you need to post a warning about using this at your own peril. I've lost months of important business email and other information.

This is maddening - at least with Mozilla I can get help for both Firefox and Thunderbird without any problems.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tpaul View Post
    I've lost months of important business email and other information.
    Didn't you take a backup of the data (there's a feature in ZD to do that)? If the only place you keep the data is in an off-line client then you should back it up otherwise you should also leave a copy on the mail server.

In your other post you mentioned that you thought the problem was cause by iTunes, did you remove that and see if it fixed the problem?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

uxbod is offline Moderator

I've lost months of important business email and other information.
    As Phoenix has already said I am sure you have a backup of that information

Anything in the event viewer ? Have recently installed any other software, apart from iTunes, say a new firewall ?

All my e-mails were saved in Gmail...I have them, yes, and no I didn't turn on the backup feature in Zimbra.

I did remove iTunes and it had no effect.

For a while, after I removed iTunes, I was able to adapt the workaround listed elsewhere in the forum by hitting alt-home to get the desktop up and running.

After a day or so, even that didn't work.

I have never had a piece of software simply quit.

Any ideas?

I posted my error messages in the Error Forum a few days ago, but nobody bothered to reply to me.

but nobody bothered to reply to me.
    I don't feel it is a case of not being bothered; it probably is more likely people do not know the answer.

I understand, but I can't be the only person having similar issues...

I have looked at other related topics in the forums, but since I have no idea how to interpret the error messages, or if they even approximate my error messages, I am flying blind.

It's a moot point right now - I can't see my current error messages anyway.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded the current build, and etc., to no avail.

I can't get any version of the Desktop to open, old or new.

This doesn't bode well for Zimbra, I would surmise. If an iTunes update can render an entire platform inoperable, this says something about the inherent architecture of the platform.

I don't even use iTunes - the updates now seem to be bundled with Quicktime.

So, now what? Just wait to see if anyone has a fix sometime down the road?

Just in case...

Here are the error messages I was getting when the issue first began about a week ago:

Error: this.docShell is null
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
    Line: 0

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80540006 [nsIApplicationIcon.show]" nsresult: "0x80540006 (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://webrunner/content/webrunner.js :: anonymous :: line 687" data: no]

Error: formatURLPref: Couldn't get pref: extensions.getMorePluginsURL
    Source File: file:///E:/Documents&#37;20and%20Settings/Owner/Local%20Settings/Application%20Data/Zimbra/zdesktop/win32/prism/xulrunner/components/nsURLFormatter.js
    Line: 68

I have 3 addons:

Inquisitor
    Prism Runtime
    Zimbra DnD

I am on XP SP3, all updates current.

pleo84103 is offline Intermediate Member

For what it is worth...

I'm using Zimbra Desktop, provided by Yahoo, on Windows XP SP3.
    I've been using it since it came out, with very little issues. In the last day or so, Zimbra will not load all the way. I'm not certain, but am pretty sure I did update Itunes in the last day or so.

I did a bunch of searches on the web, and found some threads about this error message when I opened the error console (hitting shift F6 while zimbra was loading). But they basically lead nowhere - with just some back and forth claiming that Itunes was the culprit, and zimbra folks couldn't do anything about it.

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80540006 [nsIApplicationIcon.show]" nsresult: "0x80540006 (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://webrunner/content/webrunner.js :: anonymous :: line 692" data: no]

So I searched some more and found a thread that suggested trying to open zimbra in a browser by grabbing the URI from webapp.ini under

c:\Documents and Settings\any user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\zdesktop\zdesktop.winapp\winapp.ini

and pasting it in a browser request window. This worked for both google chrome, and firefox.

By the way, there seems to be something wrong or changed with the zimbra FAQ, as several searches point to no longer existing urls - in the FAQ

There were a few other threads that I read, that lead me to try changing the settings in the webapp.ini.

Here's the original webapp.ini - with my uri truncated, since I guess it identifies me - This ini with my full blown uri did not work

[Parameters]
    id=zdesktop@zimbra.com
    name=Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop
    uri=http://127.0.0.1:7633/desktop/login.jsp?at=092302
    icon=launcher
    status=false
    location=false
    sidebar=false
    navigation=false
    trayicon=true
    splashscreen=splash.html
    include=flickr.com

I tried several options. The one I was able to consistently get to work was as follows ( with my uri substituted for the uri) - basically I removed the last three lines, of the webapp.ini above.

[Parameters]
    id=zdesktop@zimbra.com
    name=Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop
    uri=http://127.0.0.1:7633/desktop/login.jsp?at=092302
    icon=launcher
    status=false
    location=false
    sidebar=false
    navigation=false

One more thing to note - with the "working" webapp.ini, the

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80540006 [nsIApplicationIcon.show]" nsresult: "0x80540006 (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://webrunner/content/webrunner.js :: anonymous :: line 692" data: no]

still appears early on while loading zimbra, on the error console, but as the error console refreshes, the message goes away and zimbra loads. So, I'm guessing that the uncaught exception may not actually be related to my problem - but who knows, that also may lead to some variable not getting set, or not getting cleared.

While I was testing different webapp.ini versions, I restarted zimbra desktop service after each change I made. Once, after starting and stopping the service several times, as I tried different webapp.in versions, I got an error that zimbra could not attach, but at that point I was no longer able to access zimbra via a browser with my uri either. After rebooting my machine, I was able to access zimbra with the above "working/altered" webapp.ini.

You may be able to add more lines back in, since when loading with the above webapp.ini ther is no icon in the taskbar that allows you to quit and shutdown the service, but I got tired of debugging past this point.

Hopefully this information may help some of the developers.

I saw in another thread that someone believes it may be an issue with mozilla prizm. There's a bug report there, but it's unconfirmed and unassigned

I really like Zimbra, and hope the developers can get to the bottom of this.

I may crosspost - to a few other threads. Hope that is okay

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Please give 2.0 beta1 a try.

Quote Originally Posted by pleo84103 View Post
    I may crosspost - to a few other threads. Hope that is okay
    No as it makes it very difficult for people to help and keep track of the threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information