Thread: G4/G5 Macs

JustinHarlow is offline Active Member

Default G4/G5 Macs

I know that this is probably futile, but I'll ask anyway. Would you (Yahoo/Zimbra) consider making a MacOSX version for the G4/G5 platforms available? There are millions of these machines out there, and unlike Windows platforms, they never quit working. I am writing this from a 10 year old PowerBook G4, and at my office, I use an equally ancient G4 PowerMac in preference to a glitzy 3 GHz Dell PC that the company would prefer I use. I think there are a LOT of people like me out here. Please consider supporting us.

Thanks

Justin Harlow

PS: I used the ZCS open source server/client edition on G4 Macs for years, and was really looking forward to using this new client.

chewitt is offline Active Member

There's not much hope of that occurring. Zimbra HQ drag their heels a bit on supporting the latest versions of OSX on Intel CPU's so outdated PPC kit is way off their radar. As a company they need to fund development of the new OS/distro's that paying customers demand rather than back-fililng every OS/distro combination out there for the community - if you release something there's a cost, even if it's unsupported (you always have to support it in some way). The array of OS/distro combinations and the level of assistance that goes into the OSE is already pretty decent if you consider that.

NB: There is an officially unofficial source for Zimbra PPC builds located here Browse Zimbra Community Builds & Projects Files on SourceForge.net but they're always a few builds behind the current (latest is 5.0.14). ISTR reading somewhere (on here possibly) that the PPC builds posted there were contributed by a Zimbra staffer who ran his own server on an early Mac mini and re-compiled them to suit his own needs once in a while, but if that's the case he clearly doesn't run upgrades on his own server too often I've used the 5.0.14 build on an elderly 1.3GHz/1GB/40GB G4 Mac mini a couple of times to make an emergency mail server when things have conspired to make my normal one unreachable. Startups and service start/stops were dog slow but it ran fine once it got going.

Christian

Thread Information