Thread: Features and Operating System Issues

augike is offline New Member

Default Features and Operating System Issues

I am installing Zimbra "Open Source Edition" on Debian and so far, it works great. Eventually, we intend moving this to production but will need the Network Edition. This is for support reasons. Well for Version 6, I don't see Debian as a supported operating system.
    Does it mean that
    a. We can't install source versions for Debian
    b. If we decide to stick with the open source version, can we also integrate the other features
    necessasry to integrate zimbra with outlook and BES

Thanks
    Augustine.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by augike View Post
    I am installing Zimbra "Open Source Edition" on Debian and so far, it works great. Eventually, we intend moving this to production but will need the Network Edition. This is for support reasons. Well for Version 6, I don't see Debian as a supported operating system.
    Does it mean that
    a. We can't install source versions for Debian
    I'm not sure what you mean by this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by augike View Post
    b. If we decide to stick with the open source version, can we also integrate the other features
    necessasry to integrate zimbra with outlook and BES
    If you mean the Outlook and BES connectors then the answer is no, they are part of the NE version and as you've seen it isn't supported for Debian.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

augike is offline New Member

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot. That clears up a lot of things for us. We use debian and we wanted the same for zimbra. I have it working on Ubuntu in a VM and I am currentky running the proof of concept. I think Ubuntu will do for now except they decide to move with another distribution.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Zimbra seem to favor RHES; certainly only RH's cluster solution is supported.

We prefer SLES, but regardless, my strong suggestion would be to use a supported distro -- else you will find lots of little (and sometimes big) things won't work.

And then, aside from wasting your time trying to fix those issues (again, and again, each time you do an upgrade...), you'll find getting support for NE running on an unsupported platform may be... challenging.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information