Thread: [SOLVED] Attachment defaults under windows

dkbk is offline Senior Member

Default [SOLVED] Attachment defaults under windows

Hi

One of my user's .xls defaults to autosaving without giving him the option to view them.

This annoys him greatly as he likes to view documents before deciding on where to save them, if at all.

Is there a way to either change the default xls mime under prism or reset all of the files associations under zdesktop ?

Much appreciated.

edit : I should probably point out this user is my boss and he's not technically minded one bit. Of all accounts this could happen to! Since we're a relatively new install of zimbra, he's unimpressed so far. ANY help would be welcome even if the advice is to reinstall zdesktop (as long as it clears the mime types of prism).
    Last edited by dkbk; 07-24-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Hi

Nobody has any idea on why this is happening or what to do about it ?

Today, out of the blue, one other installation decided to stop asking to open and automatically bring the save as browse dialog.

This and the bug where it feels likes blocking up all popups out the blue, the desktop part of zimbra is a big letdown and my users find this software extremely frustrating and I have to say I find it's far from being in a "final" state for everyday use.

Meaulnes is offline Active Member

I was facing a very similar issue with the Mac version of ZDC. I just upgraded from version 1.0 to version 1.0.2 and that seems to have fixed the issue. We have another user that is also struggling with this issue, and we will be attempting to upgrade to v1.0.2 to see if it help him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meaulnes View Post
    I was facing a very similar issue with the Mac version of ZDC. I just upgraded from version 1.0 to version 1.0.2 and that seems to have fixed the issue. We have another user that is also struggling with this issue, and we will be attempting to upgrade to v1.0.2 to see if it help him as well.
    Thank you for the suggestion however the user was already using the latest version.

I ended up finding the answer on one of the wiki pages. You have to modify the MimeType file under profile with an XML editor.

I ended up finding the wiki page through a search on an unrelated bug in bugzilla which linked to the wiki page. I hadn't even found the page prior with my searches but anyway at least it solved this issue.

edit : I'll mark this thread solved and create a new one for the feedback I got from my users.
    Last edited by dkbk; 08-12-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Isje is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkbk View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion however the user was already using the latest version.

I ended up finding the answer on one of the wiki pages. You have to modify the MimeType file under profile with an XML editor.

I ended up finding the wiki page through a search on an unrelated bug in bugzilla which linked to the wiki page. I hadn't even found the page prior with my searches but anyway at least it solved this issue.

edit : I'll mark this thread solved and create a new one for the feedback I got from my users.
    Hi, I am having a similar issue. Could you please share with us how you solved this problem in more detail?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Isje View Post
    Hi, I am having a similar issue. Could you please share with us how you solved this problem in more detail?
    Thanks!
    Hi

It's actually fairly straightorward once you know about it.

You're going to have a file named MimeType under the Profile folder under your zimbra desktop install folder.

I used notepad to open it (or gedit under linux which is actually a proper xml editor). Notepad doesn't appear to be a proper xml editor so you'll see odd formatting but it'll do for what you need to do.

You're going to have to locate the extension you're having issues for (use search and search for it - ex: xls). After you've located the entry associated with it, you should have a default program in there and if you continue reading all the way after that you'll find a string called "SaveToDisk=" which should be set to yes. Change that to no and save.

Repeat for every file type you're having issues with.

This should solve your issue. It did for me on multiple computers (and OSes).

PS : I'm going from memory here so it might not be the exact string I named but you'll notice the right name straight away.

Thread Information