Thread: Cannot setup Zimbra Dsktop as default mail client

Marwell is offline New Member

Thumbs down Cannot setup Zimbra Dsktop as default mail client

In "Options > Global > Other" "Use Zimbra Desktop as default mail application" checkbox is grayed. Manualy - "Taskbar and Start Menu Propeties" > "Start Menu" > "Customize" > "Show on Start Menu" > "E-Mail Link" : all available client but no Zimbra. Using Vista HP SP2. MS Office Outlook 2007 was installed before Zimbra. Is any solution?

soxfan is offline Moderator

Try changing the default from what it is now to anything else. Then go back into Zimbra Desktop and see if the option is now available.

Be forewarned though, that even if you can get it set as the default email application it won't do everything you might think it would. It should work for "mailto:" links, but won't work for things like "File --> Send To --> Mail Recipient" within Office applications.

You might want to search around the forums and bugzilla. There are other posts that discuss this issue, and I believe there are a few open bugs regarding this as well.

Marwell is offline New Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Try changing the default from what it is now to anything else. Then go back into Zimbra Desktop and see if the option is now available.

Be forewarned though, that even if you can get it set as the default email application it won't do everything you might think it would. It should work for "mailto:" links, but won't work for things like "File --> Send To --> Mail Recipient" within Office applications.

You might want to search around the forums and bugzilla. There are other posts that discuss this issue, and I believe there are a few open bugs regarding this as well.
    Dear soxfan,
    Thaks for reply. Your solution was the first I tried. The check box was available, but after I checked it, nothing changed. And - check box became unavailable again.
    I thing - it is because Outlook has taken some email functions still.
    I am afraid - uninstall Outlook is only solution.
    So - thank You anyway.
    My best regards.

soxfan is offline Moderator

Not sure you have to uninstall Outlook, or if that would even solve the problem. Unfortunately the "set as default" function of ZD seems to be a bit of a "hit or miss" thing. Like I said, search around the forums; this subject has been brought up before. Also, try going through the steps of manually changing the default email client again. If may take a couple of times to get it to "stick".

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

your observation is correct. we are actively looking into this issue and the Send To->Recipient issue on windows. we will try to get it right in the next major release.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Not sure you have to uninstall Outlook, or if that would even solve the problem. Unfortunately the "set as default" function of ZD seems to be a bit of a "hit or miss" thing. Like I said, search around the forums; this subject has been brought up before. Also, try going through the steps of manually changing the default email client again. If may take a couple of times to get it to "stick".

Thread Information