Thread: Zimbra Desktop for accounts being closed

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

Default Zimbra Desktop for accounts being closed

Is it reasonable to recommend ZD as a way for alumni to take their stuff with them when they leave?

It creates a permanent local copy... but they will never be able to sync with the server again. Will that cause problems down the road?

In some ways it seems safer to sync with a traditional IMAP client, though the configuration is much more difficult.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    Is it reasonable to recommend ZD as a way for alumni to take their stuff with them when they leave?
    I would have thought that's a good idea.

It creates a permanent local copy... but they will never be able to sync with the server again. Will that cause problems down the road?
    No, the server will just not be available but the email will and they obviuosly can't send mail via that account.

In some ways it seems safer to sync with a traditional IMAP client, though the configuration is much more difficult.
    I don't see that setting up an IMAP account (either in ZD or other IMAP client) is much different to setting up a Zimbra account (or IMAP) in ZD.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

No, the server will just not be available but the email will and they obviuosly can't send mail via that account.
    Can they reply/forward messages from that account, using another account? Yeah, I know, I should just try it...

I don't see that setting up an IMAP account (either in ZD or other IMAP client) is much different to setting up a Zimbra account (or IMAP) in ZD.
    What I meant was that I consider ZD easier to support... you only need to enter the Zimbra server and login.

With Thunderbird, you have to choose between POP and IMAP. You are prompted for SMTP server. You might have to go into "Advanced" to turn on SSL, and SSL+AUTH for SMTP. You will definitely need to go to each folder to turn on "make this folder available for offline use." If you fail to do that, there's no offline copy. MacOS Mail makes this a bit easier, but there are still more choices to make.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Can they reply/forward messages from that account, using another account? Yeah, I know, I should just try it...
    I guess not as their access to the mail server isn't available and it's not possible to change it. They're individual accounts in ZD and there's no way to darg'n'drop an email to another account.

What I meant was that I consider ZD easier to support... you only need to enter the Zimbra server and login.
    OK, I'd agree with that.
    Last edited by phoenix; 06-11-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The account barrier is firm. There are a couple RFEs for unified outbox and preferences, but nothing like this, so I've entered it.

Bug 38653 – Cross-account forwards and replies

The best route I see is to Preferences->Export from Zimbra as TGZ; define a Zimbra Desktop account from another provider (GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, commodity IMAP); and then import the TGZ into the account.

In my testing, items that are "imported" do *not* get uploaded to the server. But with this method, they can be forwarded and replied to.

Thread Information