Thread: Does Zimbra Desktop increase risk of virus attack?

Polly is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Does Zimbra Desktop increase risk of virus attack?

Have been looking at emails with attachments in Zimbra. If I use BtYahoo webmail I can see that the attachments are scanned before I open them. Not so with Zimbra. I am using McAfee and it doesnt recognise Zimbra as the email client. Does this mean my computer is more at risk of malicious attachments because I am using Zimbra and not webmail direct?
    Looking forward to some advice.
    Thanks.

mmorse is offline Moderator

In your case, incoming emails are scanned by Yahoo servers for viruses by several anti-virus solutions. (The same is done by most other ISPs.) When downloaded/opened in Yahoo web-mail they are then scanned again in-case updated definitions catch something not previously considered a risk days or even hours before.

As for Zimbra Desktop (regardless of account type) if you have a strong anti-virus solution which does real-time file monitoring and is updated frequently, you can feel 'covered' in every sense of the word 'safe' that you can be when it comes to dealing with viruses. A few good anti-spyware programs are also prudent.

Some anti-virus programs have plugins to better interact with specific programs; I'm sure there are other mail applications that McAfee doesn't recognize yet.

ZD previously would halt sync altogether when an anti-virus program quarantined/moved a message blob from the incoming folder, but we handle that IO error case a little better now.

---

If your having trouble with a AV product interacting with Zimbra please file it in bugzilla. We try to be as local-AV friendly as possible, and perhaps at some point we'll bundle a solution like ClamAV in the desktop client. (Don't remember where that discussion was/the complexities involved.)

Thread Information