Thread: Error validating Yahoo account

BeejCyr is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Error validating Yahoo account

When I attempt to create my yahoo account in Zimbra Desktop I receive the following error:
    "User account authentication failed. Please check username and password."

I have verified the account information, I have tried it on three seperate computers and receive the same answer on all three. Is there a way to see what is going on?

I can tell you that the account is very old (in internet years) and way back when I first set it up, yahoo allowed me to put a space in the username. Then for a time I had to use a plus and in the last several years I have been able to omit the space all together. When I try to use the plus symbol in the account name Zimbra come back with an error.

king0770 is offline Zimbra Employee

So your Yahoo! username has a space? Have you tried putting double quotes around the username? eg, "john smith"

I personally haven't seen a Yahoo! username with a space. Let me ask the developers, and get their thoughts on the subject.

Can you attach the zdesktop.log file from the setup?

Default Yahoo Login

Originally... many years go I was able to enter it with a space, but for the last several years the space was not required. I just enter it as one word. When yahoo came out with avatars several years back, I was unable to save my avatar with this account, I can only assume it was due to the space. I will try the double quotes.

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

Have you tried using one-word (no space) on zimbra desktop yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BeejCyr View Post
    Originally... many years go I was able to enter it with a space, but for the last several years the space was not required. I just enter it as one word. When yahoo came out with avatars several years back, I was unable to save my avatar with this account, I can only assume it was due to the space. I will try the double quotes.

I have tried it with no space and zimbra reports:
    "User account authentication failed. Please check username and password"

With a space:
    "service.INVALID_REQUEST: invalid request: invalid email address"

With a plus:
    "Authentication failed due to unknown reason. If issue persists, please report this error here."

If I use a '+' and encapsulate the whole address in double quotes I set the same error as I do without the double quotes

Just for grins, to make sure my memory was not faulty I went to yahoo and tried logging in with the + and it logged me in just fine. Then as an expiriment I tried logging in again, this time intentionally putting the plus in a different place just to see if Yahoo might just be dropping the plus internally and I got a message saying that this username was not in use and that I could register it if I wanted it.

Hmmm.....

can you try to login from web to your yahoo account, and create an alias that does not have space? then use that alias to set up at ZD.

I have tried it with no space and zimbra reports:
    "User account authentication failed. Please check username and password"

With a space:
    "service.INVALID_REQUEST: invalid request: invalid email address"

With a plus:
    "Authentication failed due to unknown reason. If issue persists, please report this error here."

If I use a '+' and encapsulate the whole address in double quotes I set the same error as I do without the double quotes

Just for grins, to make sure my memory was not faulty I went to yahoo and tried logging in with the + and it logged me in just fine. Then as an expiriment I tried logging in again, this time intentionally putting the plus in a different place just to see if Yahoo might just be dropping the plus internally and I got a message saying that this username was not in use and that I could register it if I wanted it.

Hmmm.....

Interesting. Create an alias? I don't recall ever seeing that. Can you point me in the right direction?

Login to your Yahoo mail, click on your login name on the top, you should see a drop down menu. Click on "Edit My Account"...

Interesting. Create an alias? I don't recall ever seeing that. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thread Information