Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Zimbra desktop the default mail client?

jakobkraft is offline Junior Member

Default Making Zimbra desktop the default mail client?

Is it still not possible to make Zimbra the default mail client in Windows? I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate, 32-bit and I don't see any way to do this -- Zimbra's own option to make it the default mail client is grayed out, as has been noted in other posts. What gets me is how can people (or developers) tout something as a replacement, or even an alternative to Outlook, when you can't even make it the defaut mail program, thereby making it useless in a variety of scenarios?

If there is a fix in the works, does anyone have any idea when the next version of Zimbra will be available?

shailesh is offline Junior Member

Does this user has admin rights ?

Pls read Bug 31342 – vista default mail client registration issue

Running the install as an adminstrator DID NOT WORK - running the program, once installed, as an administrator, also DID NOT WORK.

Moreover, Zimbra does not even show up in Vista's list of applications which may be selected as a default. So it's not a matter of failing to make an application the default - the possibility of doing so simply isn't there.

I should mention that Zimbra itself allows you to select under 'Options' -->'Other'-->'System Defaults' Use Zimbra Desktop as default mail application. It allows this to be selected..but it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. Zimbra does NOT show up in Vista's list of Default Programs, and Zimbra, very strangely, does not let you de-select that option once you've checked it. From then on, it's grayed out.

Is there something else I haven't tried?

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

please try to click on an email link in firefox. is ZD launched?

you may use this site, for example: MailTo Syntax

I should mention that Zimbra itself allows you to select under 'Options' -->'Other'-->'System Defaults' Use Zimbra Desktop as default mail application. It allows this to be selected..but it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. Zimbra does NOT show up in Vista's list of Default Programs, and Zimbra, very strangely, does not let you de-select that option once you've checked it. From then on, it's grayed out.

Is there something else I haven't tried?

No ZD doesn't launch...Outlook still retained its settings. I uninstalled Outlook and tried it again and NOTHING happened. My browser does not recognize it as a default, Windows Explorer does not recognize it as the default (if I right-click on a file, then select 'Send To' then 'Mail Recipient', I get the message that 'no email client is installed.'

Outlook, of course, works as the default client in Vista.
    Windows Live Mail works as the default client in Vista.
    Mozilla Thunderbird works as the default client in Vista.
    Affixa works as the default client in Vista.

I think the developers must still be thinking more in terms of Linux functionality than Windows, cause this is not a viable e-mail solution for Windows. If it can't work effectively as the DEFAULT E-MAIL in Windows, there's no point to installing this.

omegaman is offline Starter Member

It's workin fine in my XP box using K-Meleon browser, a very customizeable browser it is. I didn't really tell it to do anything, it is handling the mail to command and is pointing to ZD when you punch its mail icon on the toolbar for KM, I cannot get her to startup at Windows startup but that's fine. I love K-Meleon, they just released a new version 1.5.3 a few days ago.

Firstly, that's XP - whole different animal.
    Secondly, no e-mail client should be browser-dependant. The whole point of having an e-mail client is not to have to open a browser to check emails...so if that's the only way for Zimbra to function as the default client, then it's defeating its own purpose.

omegaman is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakobkraft View Post
    Firstly, that's XP - whole different animal.
    Secondly, no e-mail client should be browser-dependant. The whole point of having an e-mail client is not to have to open a browser to check emails...so if that's the only way for Zimbra to function as the default client, then it's defeating its own purpose.
    You IT guys love to lecture. You'll figure it out with all of that knowledge stored inside, I have faith.

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

Windows Explorer does not recognize it as the default (if I right-click on a file, then select 'Send To' then 'Mail Recipient', I get the message that 'no email client is installed.'
    this is a known problem - we are working on it. for now, zd as default mailer only works if you click on a mailto link.

I think the developers must still be thinking more in terms of Linux functionality than Windows,
    not true. even zd is a cross platform app, we do put more attention for supporting native functionality on windows and mac os. we are aware that there are a few important windows specific things missing in zd. we should address that no later than version 1.1.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhe View Post
    this is a known problem - we are working on it. for now, zd as default mailer only works if you click on a mailto link.

not true. even zd is a cross platform app, we do put more attention for supporting native functionality on windows and mac os. we are aware that there are a few important windows specific things missing in zd. we should address that no later than version 1.1.
    Thank you for clearing that up...in that case, I eagerly await version 1.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information