Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Zimbra desktop the default mail client?

GordonF is offline Member

Default When will 1.1 be released?

I did a full rollout to 2 large companies saying there is a better alternative to MS products at little or no cost blah blah. Barely finnished removing MS Office and Exchange then users all start complaining. Mostly about the right click and Send To not working or not being able to send mails from Pastel and the such likes.

I'm not having to re-install Office at my own cost and with the upgrade just to keep one of the clients.

I too saw the default mail handler when I installed the test PC's etc but never though to test it as its there and the rest of the Zimbra suite seems so polished.

soxfan is offline Moderator

I did a full rollout to 2 large companies saying there is a better alternative to MS products at little or no cost blah blah. Barely finnished removing MS Office and Exchange then users all start complaining. Mostly about the right click and Send To not working or not being able to send mails from Pastel and the such likes.
    I could be wrong, but despite jmhe's response back on 5/11/09 I'm not sure there will be a version 1.1 of ZD. Version 2.0 is currently at beta2 stage, with the full release due out in early July. Based on past experience these dates tend to slip, so I wouldn't make any hard plans for the current 7/5 release date. I wouldn't be surprised if the release didn't come out until late July/early August.

You may want to have a look at pm.zimbra.com and bugzilla.zimbra.com, specifically bug 37462. The "Send To --> Mail Recipients" functionality shows as being "Assigned", and the pm.zimbra.com shows this as "Slotted". This is a feature that I will believe only when I see in Zimbra Desktop. There is an open bug going back to early 4.0 days on the ZCS/ZWC side of things. That bug too shows as "Assigned", but who knows when/if it will ever be available. Either this is a lot harder to program than a non-programmer like me can imagine, or the Zimbra folks just don't realize how important this functionality is, especially when migrating from Outlook.

I'm not familiar with Pastel, but if it involves setting Zimbra Desktop as the default mail client, this is supposed to be working with the 2.0 beta2, but I believe there are still some issues here as well.

gil
    gil is offline Starter Member

Default Making Zimbra desktop the default mail client?

i am a newcomer and a beginner and have been very enthusiastic at using zimbra desktop. This until i got to the critical issue of ZD not being able to be defined as the default mail client. I reviewed the thread on this subject in the forum but i did not understand if the issue was solved in version 2.0. i am working on:

Product version: 1.0.4
    Build ID: 1833
    Release type: R
    OS Platform: Windows XP x86 5.1

A prompt response will be appreciated as i will have to make a decision as to which mail to use.

Thanks, Gil

syanzy is offline New Member

Preferences > All Accounts > General > Other
    System Defaults: Use Zimbra Desktop as default mail application

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information