Thread: hotmail

Default hotmail

How do I "enable client access" on my hotmail account? I am one of those who has had a hotmail account since the first Mayflower crossing so was grandfathered in. However, my Zimbra dosent seem to be cooperating so I'm guessing I need to "enable client access". how is this done?
    thanks!

walt

shailesh is offline Junior Member

Are you able to configure your hotmail/MSN live account using Outlook Express (POP3) access ?

If your very old hotmail account is POP3/webdev enabled (older hotmails were) then Yahoo Zimbra Desktop(as well as any other offline web client) will also support.

Do you get some error when you try to configure hotmail in Y!ZD ?

Yes, my hotmail account has always worked with Microsoft Outlook and still does, but I'm trying to get away from all that. I have no idea what you mean by POP3/webdev enabled. I forget what the exact error was, but it impied that the mail system was not able to connect to the hotmail server.
    walt

Default hotmail plus account in Zimbra

Just so I have it clear.

Zimbra will be fully functional with a Hotmail Plus account.
    Is that correct?

I tried to reply to a thread I was follwing on this subject matter, but it kept prompting me to login, over and over. There didn't seem to be any explaination. It was insane!

shailesh is offline Junior Member

I am a bit confused. Your last post gives me the feeling that your hotmail is not working intermittently
    Code:
    (I tried to reply to a thread I was follwing on this subject matter, but it kept prompting me to login, over and over).
    1)What is Y! ZD version /OS ?

2)Have you ever been able to configure hotmail account in Y! ZD ?

3) Have you seen http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...y-what-do.html ?

4) There should not be any problem in POP3 access in the stable version of Y! ZD. Bug 35162 – allow POP for live mail accounts

5) If problem persists, please look into desktop.log (location depends on OS). You may also refer FAQ for it.

here is the latest thing i've tried to do.
    operating system is Kubuntu's latest release
    I downloaded zimbra desktop and installed it.
    the first thing it wants to do is set up an account so thats what I did.
    it even had hotmail as one of the options so I selected it and filled out the email address, password etc...
    Then i click "Validate and Save" and returned the error:
    "www.hotmail.com:80" host not found. Please check hostname and network connectivity.
    I assume I lost my internet connection, but the browser surfs the internet just fine. So, nothing wrong with my internet connection. Why wont it validate my account?

Thank you,
    Walt

regarding the message I left prevous to this one: There were several other internet links on the Zimbra email setup dialogue box that also did not work. The links were valid. That is, if copied to the web browser, they worked, but from inside the dialogue box, clicking on them resulted in an error message that indicated a loss of internet connection. Some time later, I realized that java had not been installed in my kubuntu so that may have been the problem all along. I will try again tomorrow to see if that fixes the connection problem.

Thanks for all your help on this matter.
    Walt

Thread Information