Thread: What if the server dies?

bjquinn is offline Advanced Member

Default What if the server dies?

So let's say I have everyone using Zimbra desktop. Then the server crashes. Say there's not even a very good backup, or it's a day old and I don't want to go back that far. That shouldn't be that bad, since everyone's got a local copy of their messages (and contacts, calendar, etc.) with Zimbra Desktop. However, when the new server comes online, is there any way to make sure that Zimbra Desktop doesn't go "oh, look at that, the server's mail store is blank" and proceed to delete everything in its local store (and instead reverse-sync local store back to the server)?
    Last edited by bjquinn; 03-10-2009 at 10:49 AM.

uxbod is offline Moderator

How does any other fat client handle it ?

bjquinn is offline Advanced Member

Don't know, never tried it.

Just wondering whether Zimbra Desktop could recognize that its local store is more current/valid/up-to-date than the server and sync all the messages and everything back to the server. It does this every time you make a change using Zimbra Desktop (i.e. change a contact or send an email). The only difference is whether ZD detects that it has a single item that needs to be synced back to the server or whether its entire store needs to be synced back to the server.

internalkernel is offline Active Member

Had something like this occur recently... I upgraded the ZCS server and had some issues migrating, since I had a backup already - it didn't matter to me. I wiped it and installed the new version. Then recreated my account, exactly as it was before.

Once I had ZCS back up and running, I launched my desktop client - it did not reverse sync... it also did not delete the mail that I had in there either. I was hoping it would push everything back to the server... but no love. I ended up exporting the account from the desktop, then importing that back into the account through the web interface. That, however, caused more problems in the desktop client - so I killed that account and started back at square one.

I've been looking at ways of doing a hot backup on the server end lately as well, so I was curious to see how Zdesktop would handle that situation.

I've been looking at this post lately as well:

ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations»Zimbra :: Blog

Thread Information