Thread: can't see quota in Zimbra Desktop

ewilen is offline Moderator

Default can't see quota in Zimbra Desktop

I posted my concern about this in comments to Bug 30145 - themes : Yahoo skin account name & quota area but I also want to bring it up in the forum.

In brief, unless I'm missing something, Zimbra Desktop only tells you how much space you're using in your account; it doesn't tell you what your quota is or the relative percentage used.

In a business/education environment, I would expect many hardcore Zimbra users eventually to migrate to ZD and to use the web client rarely. This would especially be the case for laptop users who'd probably want to have a single, consistent interface that allowed them to work offline. But the local storage capability of ZD would also be a selling point for users of desktop workstations.

However, since ZD doesn't give any feedback on relative quota usage, I can foresee users filling up their accounts unawares, leading to IT headaches as people come asking why they aren't getting their mail, or why mail to colleagues is bouncing. While ZCS autogenerates a quota warning after a certain threshold, these are easily ignored or left "for later", then forgotten.

I can wait until ZCS 6.0, but I would just like to make sure that ZD users will have access to their quota usage without having to log into the web client.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Pic of Yahoo skin mainline/GnR (ZCS 6.0 and subsequent ZD releases) showing quota & account name:

zmail skin is Bug 35764 - Quota statistics for Zmail theme

You might also be interested in Bug 35503 - Sync status display on Zimbra Desktop

Thanks. I would hope that the modification will also be present in other themes, or easily hackable to include it. (I'm partial to Steel and Sky, myself--they look more "formal" for a business environment.)

mmorse is offline Moderator

All the other shipped skins in RC2 have a quota area.

I'm using Steel right now with RC2 on both Mac and Windows. It shows "Mailbox size" with the amount of space used, but it doesn't show the quota. Hovering the mouse cursor over the text just brings up a tooltip with my email address.

Incidentally the quota display takes a different format in ZWC depending on if you have a finite quota or unlimited. I don't know if this might affect appearance in ZDC.

Still don't see the quota in build 1531. Is this something that's going to wait until ZCS 6.0 for all skins (not just Yahoo and Zmail)?

Picture 4.png

Thread Information