I've been testing Zimbra Desktop for a bit more than a month (I think) as I am looking for an alternative to Outlook as an offline client for our Zimbra Network Edition server.
Indeed, I am not satisfied by the exclusive use of the web client and some of the users need offline access to their mail when they're on the move.
It is quite good for its connectivity capabilities but I don't think it's ready to be rolled out in an entreprise yet.
Here are some of the flaws/inconsistencies/things I don't like that I have noticed and some suggestions:
- The Inbox folder is always folded on start, I think it should stay as it was before closing the program.
- When there are images included in the mail, they don't appear as attached, with the web client you can right click and save them but you can't do that with Zimbra Desktop so there is no way of getting those pictures
- I think the Donwloads windows should be invisible but I saw there is a fix for that (but it seems everytime you update it gets erased)
- I would like to be able to group by sender / time period (folded by sender and you can unfold just one sender) like in Outlook (and my users too)
- When new mail arrives, sometimes you have to click on Inbox to see the new message appear
- I have seen some printing size problems with some mails on the web client and so I've noticed that in ZD, it's setup to fit to page and there is no way to change that but then some mails come out really small
- It would be good if you could go down in the list of folders when for example moving a message and the folder you want to put it in doesn't appear in the frame but is below.
- I think in the first version I tested you could attach by drag n dropping but that disapeared.
- When there are too much attachments, you can't see the message body or scroll down to see it, so you have to move the reading pane's top bar to see it, it shouldn't show all the attachments
- When you have Desktop and My Documents redirected through GPO, the program will install to the redirected folders root instead of to the local (or locally copied) profile
- You should have the option to copy phone numbers in contacts through a menu, right now it works only with Ctrl+C (useful for IP telephony for example)
- Auto completion doesn't include aliases from the GAL, unlike Web Client
- The dictionnary doesn't seem very good, it doesn't seem to tell you a word is wrong if it has no suggestions for it
I also had a hard time finding out there even was a dictionnary for my language! And I wonder why you don't use the dictionnaries that come as add-ons for Firefox as I know the french one works really well.
These are the most important ones, maybe some have been fixed already, I have updated to the latest beta but haven't retested everything.
Let me know which of them I should report in Bugzilla and I will try to find the time to do so.