Thread: A little confused on zimbra desktop and ZCS in general

asedesigns is offline Junior Member

Question A little confused on zimbra desktop and ZCS in general

I've been reading the zimbra website, community forums and a bunch of other documents to figure out exactly what zimbra is all out and im a bit confused. Maybe someone could answer my questions in simple terms.

I am looking for an email method to check my emails online when im on a trip I take it for this I would install Zimbra Open Source on my VPS or dedicated server, but also would like to see them on the desktop like outlook. (so this is where Zimbra desktop comes in correct?)

What is the main difference between that network edition versus the open source edition besides the checklist they have posted does that really effect the functionality of my emailing or is it just difference in some nifty features?

If i had user1@domain1.com and user2@domain2.com could i check them all online through the Zimbra open source suite by just checking 1 account kind of like outlook, or would i have to relogin 2 times?

------------------------------------
    Basically currently I route my mail to google apps and then use IMAP to sync it with Outlook but its not all seamless as Outlook uses folders, google uses labels, and so on. So I am looking for an effective solution but I cant figure out which Zimbra product is right for me since the options are kind of very technical.

In simple terms Im guessing I install Zimbra Desktop which works like Outlook and install Zimbra Open Source which works like a cpanel web mail checker and sync those two together through IMAP right?

If someone could enlighten me, or tell me if i would have to go with the network edition to do what im doing that would be helpful.

Server has 1024 megs of Ram, 350 gigs of bandwidth or so, 100 gigs of space. Looking to have about 10-20 users at most.

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

First, while Zimbra Desktop can certainly sync to Zimbra Server, it can also do POP/IMAP and such. So you _could_ use Zimbra Desktop to your Gmail account. In other words, Zimbra Desktop is a little bit like a swiss-army knife, and while it is not "finished"/released, and is still missing a few features, it is a nicely-developing product IMO. So you could try Zimbra Deskop and point it to your Gmail account and try it out/kick the tires.

See here for a comparison of the different server versions.
    Zimbra - Product Editions
    The biggest things for the NE (network edition) are the Outlook plugin/support Mac sync, plus some admin tools (backup, cross-mailbox searching), along with the ability to get Blackberry and Zimbra-Mobile (MS activesync/windows mobile devices) as add'l features. Am sure I missed a few things, check the URL.

You don't say anything about mobile-device support - NE edition would be required if you wanted that. They also have a "starter edition" that would include Outlook support, but not Mobile. Limited to 15 users. Whereas the NE edition has a min. of 25 users.

Zimbra Starter Edition

asedesigns is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply, but I really could care less about gmail. The only reason I am going through gmail is its the only way to sync stuff for me at the moment and gives me the ability to check mail when I am away from my desk (as well as share documents with other members, but sadly they have to have gmail account).

I do like the zimbra desktop and I would be using that. I am looking for mostly a cost effective method to check my email away from the office but also have the same email at the office and home. So IMAP would be the route to go i think, but the primary question is that possible with the Zimbra Open source edition on MULTIPLE domains without logging in and out multiple times if I had multiple domains could I check it online like a desktop client?

I do not care about black berry sync or searching through attachments. My key needs are checking multiple domains online or on zimbra desktop, and collaborating and sharing documents with a team of members/emails.

Is that possible with open source edition and the zimbra desktop to work together.

Also can the open source import my PST files?

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by asedesigns View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I really could care less about gmail. The only reason I am going through gmail is its the only way to sync stuff for me at the moment and gives me the ability to check mail when I am away from my desk (as well as share documents with other members, but sadly they have to have gmail account).

I do like the zimbra desktop and I would be using that. I am looking for mostly a cost effective method to check my email away from the office but also have the same email at the office and home. So IMAP would be the route to go i think, but the primary question is that possible with the Zimbra Open source edition on MULTIPLE domains without logging in and out multiple times if I had multiple domains could I check it online like a desktop client?
    Caveat - I use the NE edition, have not done this, so my answers are worth what you paid for them

I assume you mean multiple domains/accounts, and not just 1 account with multiple aliases (including domain1.com and domain2.com). Not sure if you can setup ZD to access multiple Zimbra accounts at the same time... maybe you can, dunno... but for-sure yes if you set one up account as Zimbra and another as IMAP (but you give up cal/contact sync - unless maybe you share across??).

I do not care about black berry sync or searching through attachments. My key needs are checking multiple domains online or on zimbra desktop, and collaborating and sharing documents with a team of members/emails.

Is that possible with open source edition and the zimbra desktop to work together.
    - Yes, they can work together fine.

Also can the open source import my PST files?
    - Not sure... the NE edition comes with a PST importer, dunno if open-source one does. Even if not, you could load Outlook's PST file and drag into Zimbra IMAP account (tho' dates might 'interesting').

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Thread Information