Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is ZD really a windows app?

silke is offline Starter Member

Default Task-switch Shortcut won't offer Zimbra Desktop

Dear jjzhuang,

I read this thread with great attention, because this topic really interests me for quite a while now. I think it's a great idea to minimize the desktop zimbra to the tray in order to receive the nice notification balloons whenever a new mail arrives. This even works far more fine, than outlook.

But one thing bugs me. With windows you may switch through the open applications with this nice "task-switch" short-cut: ALT + Tab. However the moment Zimbra is in the tray, it doesn't appear in my taskswitch window anymore. Is this a problem I have, or is it a general thing?

I think this worked better with Outlook. Is there any way one can bring back the zimbra desktop into the taskswitch?

Thanks for replying, Silke.

mmorse is offline Moderator

JLeiderman is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra minimizing to tray - issue with standards

I concur with most of the user comments above. Zimbra's behavior with respect to minimizing seems confusing (and non-standard) in the extreme. Now I also find that the icon in the notification area has disappeared and I am unable to retrieve it. (Conflict with another mail-service?) The Zimbra service is apparently still running, but I can only get it back by "restarting" (double-clicking on the desktop icon). My workaround has been to locate the URI string (http://...0.0.1:7633/desktop/login.jsp?at=a05378...) in webapp.ini and use it to set-up a freestanding Google chrome "app". This also has the advantage of making Zimbra behave in the usual way (minimize to taskbar), and I can alt-tab to it as I do for every other application. I don't mind particularly about losing notifications, since I am checking email as frequently as I care to anyway. And if I need "minimize to tray", there exist many little apps to do this very easily. Long and short, I think Zimbra developers need to address these annoyances. I still have great hopes for the application that finally extricates us from Outlook's clutches. Thanks for your hard work, JL

andy.robbins is offline New Member

Dirk - that is incorrect.

When you CLOSE msmsgs you close the viewer and the service remains running in the task tray.

When you MINIMIZE zdesktop, it does this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information