Thread: [SOLVED] Installed Zimbra Desktop Client - Emails deleted from the server!

tezarin is offline Senior Member

Default [SOLVED] Installed Zimbra Desktop Client - Emails deleted from the server!

Hi all,

I am new to Zimbra, and until today I was using it through the web interface.

Today I downloaded and installed Zimbra Desktop Client and I forgot to select the checkbox where it reads "Synchronization Settings" --->"Leave on server" and therefore ALL my emails got downloaded to Zimbra desktop.

I was wondering:
    1) If there is a way to move them back to the server so I can continue to use the web version.

2) Is there any way to add logon screen to the Zimbra Desktop Client? Currently, it saved my password and whoever double click on the icon, it will popup and other users of this computer can view my emails!

Thanks in advance

bdial is offline Moderator

if you're using network edition you could just restore the mailbox to the point before you downloaded it all

otherwise you can enable imap access for your account, and copy the files back up to the server via imap. At least thats how I'd do it in outlook, I've never used zimbra desktop

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I've never used zimbra desktop
    We're gonna have to convert you

Welcome to the forums tezarin,

Quote Originally Posted by tezarin View Post
    I am new to Zimbra, and until today I was using it through the web interface.

Today I downloaded and installed Zimbra Desktop Client and I forgot to select the checkbox where it reads "Synchronization Settings" --->"Leave on server" and therefore ALL my emails got downloaded to Zimbra desktop.

I was wondering:
    1) If there is a way to move them back to the server so I can continue to use the web version.
    For the future use account type 'Zimbra' rather than 'Pop'.

If your not the sys admin find out if you have the network edition. CLI zmrestore restoreToTime Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki

If the open source edition / the backups aren't current or redologs disabled / to get mail that's changed since last backup / if your sys admin is unreachable some stuff you could do:

A) Head over to Preferences > Import / Export and create a .tgz of everything.
    You can connect a 'Zimbra' account type then import. Realize your going to get a account.Account_EXISTS email address already exists error, I would also backup the entire install directory
    (typical locations covered in B) in addition to the tar before removing your POP connection. Or just use another box/VM where you can setup ZD if you have one at your disposal.

More on this / other ways to use the tar formatter zmmailbox or POST commands: ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog

B) More lengthy would be to find the messages on disk (for win that's Documents & Settings or Users\username\App Data\Local\zimbra\zdesktop\store, for Mac/Linux ~/zimbra/zdesktop/store - telling us your platform would help) and import them using another thick-client or POST methods, even zmmailbox or zmlmtpinject.

2) Is there any way to add logon screen to the Zimbra Desktop Client? Currently, it saved my password and whoever double click on the icon, it will popup and other users of this computer can view my emails!
    Vote for these RFEs:
    Bug 27005 - Prompt for password in offline client (for zimbra/non zimbra accounts)
    Bug 14713 - encrypt offline messages

Based on feedback I've seen, even though you can still find/search the store folder on disk, some want bug 27005 for pass now anyways - as someone dropping by and navigating the store isn't as 'easy' as opening Zimbra Desktop. (It's really a false sense of security though.)

Current best practice is to set a OS level password (login/screensaver & not share accounts), user directory permissions, better yet OS encryption or storage/disk encryption.

See also:
    Bug 27936 - offline : Multiple Zimbra Desktop users on one machine
    Bug 15608 - install application vs data location (we now install in user directories to make it easier to lock down, but realize that it's not multi-user yet)
    Last edited by mmorse; 12-15-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks for your replies. I have the Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop installed. That was the only version I found (searched for Zimbra Desktop Client), I hope that's the right software...Of course I installed it to get corporate related emails not my yahoo account.

bdial, I created a POP account by mistake and not an IMAP so all my emails got downloaded from the server... Now how can I change POP to IMAP? I don't have admin rights...

mmorse, thanks for the great instruction, please bear with me as this is my first time converting back... I installed Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop on Win XP Professional. I don't think it's Network edition, this is the exact version:
    Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop 0.92 (Build 1418)
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072406 Prism (zdesktop/0.92)

I found the messages on my hard drive (.msg) which is good. Now, how can I export them to the server?

I also exported all the emails using Import/Export feature and created a .tgz.tgz file, now how would I migrate that to the server?

Thanks in advance

(I don't think you can toggle the account type after the fact yet.)

-Tray icon > stop the service (not just quit).
    -Make a backup copy of the entire zdesktop folder containing the store/derby/index/redolog/etc where you found those .msg's, I only say this because the tar formatter is new - would hate for you to hit a bug.
    -Start ZD.
    -Remove the POP account (won't allow 2 with same email).
    -Add your account as type 'Zimbra' (rather than 'IMAP' as you said you're against a ZCS server).
    -Import the .tgz
    Last edited by mmorse; 12-16-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Mike,

Thank you so much for your reply. I just got back to report that I figured it out based on what you posted yesterday and see you posted the same exact steps here today :-)

This is how I did it (which is almost identical to the solution you provided me today) in your posts, I just write it here as it may help others as well :-)

1) Inside Zimbra Desktop Client, using Import/Export feature, I exported all the emails, the output was a .tgz.tgz file

2) Deleted the POP account.

3) In ZDC, created a new account, this time an IMAP account. (You mentioned it should be a Zimbra account, but IMAP worked just fine, is this good or bad?)

4) Under Import/Export, clicked on Import and gave it the path to the tgztgz file.

5) Everything was imported just fine and now I have all the emails on the server as well as the ZDC

Thanks again, I really appreciate it :-)

3) In ZDC, created a new account, this time an IMAP account. (You mentioned it should be a Zimbra account, but IMAP worked just fine, is this good or bad?)
    If you have a ZCS server use type 'Zimbra' - you'll have a much better experience long term as everything will sync instead of just mail.

You should be able to take another tar (incase you had some contacts/events/tasks/docs/files local), then remove the IMAP account, connect as a Zimbra type and pull everything down.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    For the future use account type 'Zimbra' rather than 'Pop'.
    -Add your account as type 'Zimbra' (rather than 'IMAP' as you said you're against a ZCS server).

If you have a ZCS server use type 'Zimbra' - you'll have a much better experience long term as everything will sync instead of just mail.

You should be able to take another tar (incase you had some contacts/events/tasks/docs/files local), then remove the IMAP account, connect as a Zimbra type and pull everything down.
    Great info, thanks. I will do this next time I install the ZDC, for the time being I am back on accessing my emails via server :-)

Thanks and happy holidays,
    Tezarin

Thread Information